Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: inventor of electric chicken?

Post Thanks / Like

Default inventor of electric chicken?

Just curious which manufacturer came up with the Electric Chicken color scheme and what bait introduced it to crappie? Wonder who deserves the credit for such an unlikely but productive color combo.

From clicking around the web, I think maybe Bass Assassin adapted electric chicken to the Panfish assassin that's how it came to crappie fishing? Lil Fishy from Creme had this color scheme early on too, so perhaps Creme invented Electric Chicken as they did with so much in the plastic bait world.

DrNip is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the name is more of an amazement than the color scheme. Have had too much luck with it here in Oklahoma.

Post Thanks / Like

We use to fish for Redfish and Trout in the tidal rivers around Charleston SC. One year we were given some grub bodies to try, guy at baitshop said they were killing the fish. Similar in size to Mann's Sting Ray Grub if that rings a bell. Name of bait??? Electric Chicken... Same color as today, but this was in the mid 80s. Been around a long time.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

My five year old son LOVES that color in a crappie tube and has it on all the time. He got 5 fish in a row last night and said after each release the "Electric Chicken rules" LOL.
    Likes theygotaeat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of color schemes and patterns have come from great lakes fishing spoons. One of the big ones is "DreamWeaver" located out of Ludington Michigan.

You get to see the full version of the color pallet intention on a 6 inch spoon. They look a little different when they are slimmed down. Electric Chicken, monkey puke, Kavorkian.... have all been around for a few years now.

I would assume the crossover comes from companies that are in multiple markets. I.E, companies that make larger baits that target great lakes fish and then smaller fish. Lindy, northland to name a few. Once they become popular, multiple companies go with it (for obvious reasons) and create their own version.

On the great lakes, it is not uncommon to see 10 new baits come out every year from a company. By the end of the year, all four of the other major companies have the same bait. They work great for a year or so (because it is something the fish have never seen before) and then they go by the way side. We find ourselves digging into our boxes and pulling baits out that have not been used in 10 or 12 years. Then, suddenly they are a hot color again.

If you get a chance, take a look at the dreamweaver line up names. You will get a kick out of it if nothing else.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"