Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roadrunners

Post Thanks / Like

Question Roadrunners

Curious as to whether or not you folks use these for crappie in the summertime periods? I'm talking about the marabou models, but am also interested in the plastic trailer models as well.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

they work real good
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

This is my go-to for many different methods. I even use it as my bottom lure when spider riggin. Just remember to separate the tail skirt a little when new. I highly recommend the following color.
    Name:  B2-1802-078.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  72.2 KB

stormcloud is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

it's a good bait. The chartreuse color is good year round. I have in my head that pink is a good summertime color but the cooler the water gets, the less fish are attracted to it. I use roadrunners for the bottom hook when trolling double rigs. Orange to black to chartreuse is another bait that I fish year round.
    Tell'em I'll be there.

Post Thanks / Like

Use em all the time!!!!!!!! even under floats in grassy areas in my local pond. X2 on separating skirts even ones you tie yourself.
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Love them. Cast and retrieve slowly, under a float, slow trolled behind boat. Have used them on the beetle spin wire giving a two blade effect.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I guess it's not to hard to tell I am a big fan of the roadrunner.I buy the original heads in the bulk packs (14) from Monk's Crappie each year and use mostly curly tails with them.As far as casting goes the best times of the year for me are when the water temp gets in the mid 50's in spring right on through summer and early fall.Cast over brush and count down or slowly retrieve but always pause retrieve.One of the most effective ways to catch crappie this time of year is to throw it around brush and let it go all the way to the bottom.Many times when you go to crank it a little to hop it again they will already be on it.I mostly use chartreuse and pink in 1/16 and always with a crappie nibble.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the feedback folks! We'll be trying out some Roadrunners with our speed drifting the next time the wind kicks up. I may just put a straight tail on it though, instead of the curly tail. Since the straights have been out-performing the curly tails for us on plain jigs, this might work even better. Will keep you posted.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

r runners are great baits. jigged in cover they hill hook anything and everything though. one thing you need to do to it is get the blade going/tuned. usually that means removing paint from swivel. i also find they spin better, when going slow, if swivel is bent down away from the body. that blade calls to fish farther than a plain jig with no blade. especially in dirty water it can be the thing. i also prefer the colorado/indiana blades. tiny ones can be great for summer bull gills too.

good luck

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

They will work year round. Tip them with a crappie nibble or some scent and fsh it slow. When you think you are going slow then slow down some more. Black and chartreuse, white and chartreuse, aqua and chartreuse or pink and chartreuse are proven color combinations.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes CRIA1576 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast