Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Keeping a bluegill/sunfish/crappie in a 10 gallon?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Keeping a bluegill/sunfish/crappie in a 10 gallon?

I have a 10 gallon cycled tank with a filter and a light. What native fish can I keep in there. All I really want is 1. If more are needed then ok.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure what a "cycled tank" is, but if you mean a regular Fish Tank, you can keep anything you catch locally as long as it has enough room to swim around.
    Years ago I caught a tiny bass and brought it home and put it in with my tropical fish. He ended up in his own tank because of his habit of eating the other inhabitants. I kept and watched him for over 5 years. He grew from about 6" to over 18" and when I released him he weighed just a shade over 3 lbs. I learned many a thing from watching him feed.

If you have city water you will have to fill the tank and let it sit for while or get one of the compounds that remove the chlorine before you put any fish in it. If you do this, take and post pictures, as I am sure you will be amazed at the some of the things you will learn.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!

Post Thanks / Like

I have an outdoor "garden" pond...one of those black kidney shaped liner-type ponds off my patio. I put a bluegill in there back in the early spring. He's a pig...not size...his appetite. He has grown since his introduction to our pond. I have a pump/filter/fountain and some vegatation but probably need more plants. I've placed enough sunken items to give him shade even though the pond is in mostly a shady area, the sun does tend to get to it at certain times of day.

He has done well up to recently and I noticed some white tips at his fin ends and tail. A little Googlin' revealed he quite possibly has fin rot. Sounds awful but I am following recomendations to cure the little guy. I had introduced 2 more bluegills about his size about 2 months ago and the the original homesteader did not appreciate it one bit. He beat those other 2 up pretty bad real quick. I also learned that this is quite common especially since the 2 added bluegills were recent catches and were probably shocked enough from being hooked that they were not strong enough to fend him off. Shoulda used another little pond I have to let them get strong before the fight was on.

Anyway, just adding this to let you know there are things to watch for when trying to keep one of these little guys. I figured they were durable little eating machines that would not require a lot of attention but I guess that's in their natural habitat. I knew about getting rid of city water chlorine and let the water stand a long time before putting him in there. Actually the majority of the water used to fill the pond came from rain barrels around my place that had ample sit time to get right. Water is clear due to the pump and filter and I clean/change the filter regularly. It keeps a nice amount of movement in the water. I almost had "Gillie" eating from my hand before this fin rot thing came on. Now he's more leary of me and hides a lot.

A water test kit would probably be mandatory and certain chemicals or additives are available to make him & keep him healthy. I'm working on that now.

Just a little FYI. But I'm definitely not a pro @ keeping em.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 30 gallon test aquarium where I test the soft plastic baits I make. There are two bluegill, one crappie and a catfish in there. I raise my own red wiggler worms and feed them once daily. There are lots or rock and hiding places where I can observe their behaviors and reaction to my lures. There is an outside the tank magnetic filter and plenty of oxygen for them.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

1 or two fish will be all a 10 will handle. 1" of fish per gallon average. do a crappie and feed him minnows once a week. put plenty of cover for minnows to hide. make it softer cover, because things can get rough. lol this was in my tank a few days ago. 1 chunk three mouths.
    http://vid264.photobucket.com/albums...2/catfight.mp4

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Those catfish are tearing up the food. Wow!
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Luvfatslabs is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice tank, what size is it?
    Good luck and good fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Better check your state regulations on keeping wild caught fish in an aquarium.
    Likes river scum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

55 gallon i think