Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you get fish fillets crispy?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you get fish fillets crispy?

I've tried frying fish fillets in peanut oil using zacharins (i think that's what it's called) and it just wasn't crispy. I also tried double dipping before i fried them with no luck. Any suggestions?
    To heck with work, lets go fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Just have someone else to cook it...... that's what I do.

I can get mine crispy, but it's raw on the inside. But I can't fry anything worth eating.
    Let Em' Land!

Post Thanks / Like

You may need to get your oil hotter. I've been frying mine really hot lately and they've been coming out the way I like em. Extra crispy. Golden Brown all over. Crunchy on the edges.
    Currently a non-fishing slacker! (not for too much longer)

Post Thanks / Like

Right before they catch the grease on fire take 'em out let cool and try to eat.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up cooking crispy fish

the best way is get a candy thermometer stick it on your pan and into the grease but dont let it touch the bottom of the pan.
    heat the grease to 375 deg f before putting the fish into the grease.
    hold temp. 375 degf to 400 deg f . for nicely done fish take them out when they float to the top.
    for chrispy fish leave them in a while longer.
    pat your fish dry before rolling them in meal.
    i put salt , pepper, and a little curry powder on fellets and roll them in corn meal.
    very tasty.

but if you dont have a thermometer you can heat the grease up then throw a kitchen match into the grease and let it float around till the match flares up then the grease is hot enough to add the fish.
    if you add fish before the grease is hot enough it will be oil soaked and watery tasteing.

~ sticko ~

Post Thanks / Like

365 to 375 degrees is the key. Use a turkey frying thermometer. Control the temp of your oil. Too cool and you get mushy fillets. Too hot and you burn the fillet. Even hotter and the oil will begin to burn (blue smoke). Get your fire adjusted to where it will maintain the 375 and only put in a few fillets at a time. Don't put in more fillets until the oil is back to 375 again. I know it sounds picky and requires alot of adjustments, but once you get it down you can cook perfect fillets everytime and knock them all out in no time.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default crispy crappie

Put your fillets in an egg/milk wash first. Then dredge them in a mixture of equal parts flour/corn meal/cracker crumbs. Fry at 375 degrees. The fillets will be have a light but very crispy batter.
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

shuorc is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

cut into fingers pat dry put on paper towels and put in freezer 'till just before freezing(10 min) only put what you want to fry in meal or batter, cook hot and eat a lot.--shu
    <*(((((><

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Darryl Morris]365 to 375 degrees is the key. Use a turkey frying thermometer. Control the temp of your oil. Too cool and you get mushy fillets. Too hot and you burn the fillet. Even hotter and the oil will begin to burn (blue smoke). Get your fire adjusted to where it will maintain the 375 and only put in a few fillets at a time. Don't put in more fillets until the oil is back to 375 again. I know it sounds picky and requires alot of adjustments, but once you get it down you can cook perfect fillets everytime and knock them all out in no time.[

DITTO

KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY

Post Thanks / Like

The temperature of the oil is key. 365 degrees is fine as long as you know it is exactly 365. That's why I use an electric skillet with a thermostat and fill it about an inch deep with fresh peanut oil. I use corn flake crumbs myself but will try some Panko bread crumbs and potato flakes tonight as an experiment. Yum yum anyone want to come over for dinner tonight?
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast