Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fishing lights at night need a battery for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default fishing lights at night need a battery for it.

im sure its been talked about before but i do a lot of bank fishing as i don't have a boat. i purchased a light for fishing at night that emits a green glow and is supposed to attract bait fish. i had a quick question. i purchased this Submersible Underwater 210 LED Green Fishing Light Green Fire Boat Pier Dock | eBay my question is. do i need to buy a car battery for this or can i get away with something smaller for a night of fishing. i know if i get a smaller battery it wont stay lit as long and will dim as the battery loses power but i need a battery that will last 12-15 hours of use and still be light weight because i have to carry everything so between my rods and cooler i have backpack and my rods. Thanks again in advance. i looked into the lithium batteries which only weigh 1-5 pounds but there ah rating is only 7ah which would equal to about 2 1/2 to 3 hours worth of use.

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

We use a jump start from Wal-mart or any auto parts store!! lighter and easier to carry!!! They are real handy!!! for night time use!!
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow,your a genius!!! Thats a great, idea! How much do they weigh. And it will last all night?

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The best I can interpret from this link specifications is that the led light draws about 4.5 Amps. Therefore a 45 Ampere hour battery would theoretically last 10 hours. But, this is not quiet the way that molecules mingle.

I don't know the amp hour rating on one of those jump packs mentioned above, but check the Ampere hour (AH) rating before you leap.

I am not a battery expert, but I knows old Kirchhoff and Ohm.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a discharge calculator for batteries that include Pukert's capacity and Pukert's exponent. Close as possible to reality of discharge.

Online calculator: Battery discharge time depending on load

I have mention Pukert's Law several times but it seems to be ignored.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

You don't need a regular car battery to run the lights. So that you are truly "unplugged" you can get a small 12v battery for less than $20 and get a charger to charge it after each use. Then you can take the small battery and lights and go wherever you can walk. 12v battery | eBay
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Likes froggysquasher LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Ill check out the link. The thing is with the small batteries the ah needs to be at least 30 in order to run the leds at full power all night. If it was a 7 ah it would only run for about two hours

Post Thanks / Like

i can run my LED for 3 nights of catfishing, with no visible loss of power, on my mower battery. thats the best part about the LEDs! my cousin has been using 2 LED lights like that on his vexiliar battery. that thing is tiny. we have used that same battery on ice too. we can run the flasher and a large submersible LED, under the ice, for a couple nights of fishing. you should be fine with about any battery you get.

Post Thanks / Like

how many leds are on your light? i might just have to cave in and try it. it would be easier but the guy that sold it to me said it wouldnt last but a few hours

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast