Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Wheeler Tourney Saturday

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wheeler Tourney Saturday

Man, going to be a vold one, with some wind. Make sure you have a spot out of the wind from the North.

Going to wear a lto of clothes. I most likely wont get out of 1st creek. I think I can get out of the wind, maybe. WIll be slow fishing to start wtih, but if they suspend I might catch some. Wether I do or not, at least I will be fishing!

GOod luck to everyone. I will be at the launch around 5:15. Will be nice to fish a tournament again. I have missed the last 2 due to work.

I will see you Saturday!!
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to it - thought I'd throw this out there, if any of
    you haven't been over that way lately...

Last Sunday went and put in at First Creek, and due to the road construction
    right before you get to the turnoff, coming from Florence way, had some
    aggravation. If you go past the turn into the ramp, off 72, and pull in the
    store there - the minnow bucket - then you either have to go all the way
    back through the construction in order to make a u-turn to get back to
    the ramp. Or else take your chances and go against traffic (wrong way)
    for a couple hundred feet :D The place you used to turn left after leaving
    the store to go into the ramp was blocked off with a concrete barricade.:rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

how did you guys do yesterday.last weekend they were really turned on but the cold front probaly hurt

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It was cold, but thank goodness it wasn't too windy. I almost didn't make it with a stomach virus, but I felt just barely good enough to fish the tournament at 4am Saturday morning. It is a good thing too.

Myself and Pat Stegall fished together for the first time since winning the tournament on Wheeler last year. Well, it paid off again. He and I were able to find fish in First creek across from the Wheeler harbor. We were in 21 feet of water and fishing catfish rigs with minnows only. We caught only 9 fish, but our biggest 7 was good enough to win the tournament with 5.60 pounds.

Jeff White was in second. He started in Elk river, then ventured over to Spring Creek. He is now on a first name bases wiht a rock just inside the bridge. He finally has his new boat broken in!!! He caught 6 fish but almost won it. He had just over 5 pounds of fish.

Keith Dodd and Don Ledbetter caught the big fish which was 1.39. It was caught on minnows in First creek.

Several more fish were brought in. Jeff White and Rex Davis both had fish that went 1.38 each. Brad Whitehead, Scott Hester, and The McCarly boys all had fish at the scales.

Thanks to everyone who fished the tournament. It was a great day.