Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lure size and weight I guess DOES depend on the water being fished

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lure size and weight I guess DOES depend on the water being fished

One of the local lakes used for drinking water connected to two other waters has been recently reopened after six years. The water has always provided excellent crappie, yellow and white perch and sunfish fishing - size and quantity - but overfishing and keeping fish (over the legal limit) did put a dent on success rates.

Today I decided to give it a go and fish one of two arms after last night's showers and cold front.

Structure:
    Depth varies from 15' near the dam to 12' in the old channel, with interesting flats and points cropping up out of no where.
    Tree over hangs are many and fortunately drop offs are within 6' or less from shore in many areas. The wide flats drop off from 3' to 5' along a 50yd. stretch, creating opportunities along the drop on either side, shallow and deep.

Lures used:
    Only one ALL DAY! : my hand poured minnow creation. At first, 1/16 oz jig heads worked and I immediately connected to some large YP and sunfish. So from those few fish I decided that the average pan fish size was mostly going to be large (as it was 6 years ago) and average aggression level superb! In this case I asked myself : why not increase lure size from 2" and a narrow body to 3" and a wider body.

What's more: increase jig weight and hook size from 1/16 oz with a #4 hook to a 1/8 oz with a #1 hook. This would allow for the wind deflection, which averaged 10mph, and for easier under the over hang casting (some of the many branches were only 9" above the surface. Casting distance is now longer, hook sets more solid with greater hook size and presentation a bit faster horizontally.

Results:
    Incredible size and number of all species including a 3lb bass that swam completely around the boat before being played closer. The white perch averaged 11" and the crappie where a chunky 14" - a really decent size in my stretch of the woods! The YP were in the 10" range - nice eating size (if I ate fish).
    Many fish struck the minnow grub multiple times on the same retrieve and some after some vertical jigging at the boat in 8' once they followed from shore.

So, from this I've learned that the fishery can make all the difference in the size of soft plastic and jig head weight that fish will bite. Of course I still stayed with 6lb test but will be going with some 8lb test, XL Trilene mono tomorrow as a leader, connected to braid. Casting some 2.75" tubes might be interesting.... but no more curly tails for me!

The other crappie lake I fish has crappie and other pan fish that won't touch 1/8 oz until fall and prefer 2.5" soft plastics on 1/16 oz. Of course the crappie size averages only 11" of less and there are no woods around the lake - only wetlands with pads and some rock walls.
    Last edited by Spoonminnow; 07-24-2014 at 09:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting observations. Thanks for sharing.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent post. And yes, fishing pressure and fishery management play a very important part in the size and quality of the fish you catch. Over harvesting can have detrimental effects; especially if the largest of the species are the ones that are kept for the table. There is never a problem taking what's needed for a dinner or two, but here, we've seen people filling buckets with crappie and especially yellow perch, with no regard for the fishery.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately I foresee a replay of the years before the closure where anglers kept more than the state limit and no one around to enforce the law. Our state DEC is a little light in manpower and though they visit this lake ever so often, they don't have a boat to check creels. Once anglers that are not legal see the DEC vehicle, they just stay out until the DEC officers leave.

Oh well, at least the fishing will be good since the $10 fee for boat rentals and extra for a partner, deters people considering the cost per pound to keep fish (you can't launch your own boat like before). Plus the lake is only open for fishing Wed - Sun.

Can't wait to get back there next week!