Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Baffled

Post Thanks / Like

Default Baffled

I was recently fishing a lake near my home,post spawn time, known for producing a lot of small crappie. This lake is approximatly 2000 acres in area, maybe more. I was fishing piers and large cedars around the piers. I was catching a lot of last years hatch. I always heard that for the most part, fish of equal size run together. I was about to give up then I thought what the heck try and go to deeper water around the trees.
    In the beginning I was fishing three feet deep in six foot of water. So I let my line out two to two and a half more feet. Then I started catching three quarters to two pound crappie. Is it normal for these small fish-i'm talking seven inches long- to stay wih bigger fish?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Actually - they weren't "with" each other. They were around the same cover, but occupying different depths. This is quite common ... and sometimes (as you noted) only a few feet separate the two schools. The competition level, between year classes, favors the smaller fish - they've usually got the numbers. Food, cover, and space are the prize. But, the larger fish are "survivors", and more wary than the younger ones. They go where they want ... even if that place is already occupied (except if occupied by larger predators). They utilize the larger, deeper running baitfish ... as well as the "stunned" ones that the smaller fish don't dive after.
    I always tell people - if you're catching small fish ... fish deeper or move to another location. It's rare that different sizes (year classes) will mix and/or collectively run together as a single school. But it is quite normal for them to be in the same area, or even on the same piece of structure, at times. I think you just happened to find them at one of those "times". Nice move ! ...........cp

Post Thanks / Like

We see it all the time at the lake we fish the most. It probably varies from lake to lake; I honestly don't know. We were fishing our favorite spots yesterday and boated 42 crappie ranging in size from 6 to 12 inches from the same spots and at varying depths. We kept 10 nice ones and released the rest, hoping to see them again next year. - Roberta.
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Default Structure

I've often caught both large and small crappie from the same brushpile or snag. I have especially noticed that small crappie may be all around the structure - even in open water as much as 20 feet away from the brush. In the same brushpile, I'll often catch some big crappie right in the brush.

I think the big ones are able to "hog" the preferred spots - the best shelter deep and in the middle of the brush. The smaller fish get forced to the edges and out into more open water.

So - anytime I start catching small crappie near structure, I always try fishing deep into the pile (even though I'll hang up a lot). In my experience, if there are any big crappie there, that's where they'll be. - Sam

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks pap, Your info was helpful.