Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Building dock. Underwater light opinions

Post Thanks / Like

Got started on my DIY dock last weekend. Located off the Alabama river in a creek, the end of the dock will be about 5' deep. 12' deep at about 30' out (casting distance) Thinking about some underwater fish attracting lights. Do they work? Will I attract more fishermen in boats than fish? Opinions?

Name:  image-1965473535.jpg
Views: 984
Size:  35.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

have you thought about LED strips under the dock or even down the dock supports?? that would draw the fish in.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

For a dock all you need is an over head light and that usually does a good job of attracting bait fish. This will keep people from "targeting" your dock all the time and you will have the light when you need it.
    If I were you I would build the dock with the light, sink some brush around the dock to give crappie structure to hold tight to and then when you are ready to fish bring a floating or submersible light to help attract more bait fish close to the brush. This way the boat traffic will not swarm to your dock all the time and you get to drop a light to bring in more when your ready to fish. It only takes 30 minutes to draw in plankton and bait fish. If they don't show after that the crappie are elsewhere.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lights on a dock brings in more skeeters than fish. Deet is your friend.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

BAMA S is offline Crappie.com Legend and AL Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lights bring in a lot of unwanted fishermen Also on Martin they bring on stripe bass. They run the crappie off.

Post Thanks / Like

Will underwater lights attract bugs?

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My understanding about flying bugs is that they use the moon to navigate. White lights confuse them, so this is why the seem to circle around night white bright lights. Colored lights don't seem to affect the bugs so much. I just use deet and a bug zapper. I never had much luck around my dock with lights. However, I am old and prefer my night beauty rest over fish.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Underwater light, turn on a few hours before you want to fish. Bug zapper over top of a man made brush pile. Small dock light to draw bugs.

Bugs drop from zapper to brushpile, should hold fish if they know it is a good food source.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm like cane pole nights are for sleeping, afternoons aren't bad either. That's for sleeping

Post Thanks / Like

Get a green monster! There will be people that come and fish it but it's worth every $. I kill the crappie on underwater lights. Most people won't pull up with you there fishing. It doesn't matter if people fish it when you're not there; it will draw fish every night. I've caught limits off of one light, 2 or 3 nights in a row. It probably won't work this time of year as good as early summer, but next year you'll be glad you got it. If you leave it on all the time, you'll catch fish before dark. They will start staging on your light before dark. The green lights are the best!! You shouldn't worry about people fishing it, I meet some great people while I'm fishing their lights. Most of them have been really nice, and I try to help them catch fish. I respect them and don't pull up on them while they're fishing. Trust me, you won't regret buying an underwater light.