Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swift Water Anchoring Tips

Post Thanks / Like

Default Swift Water Anchoring Tips

Ive spent the last couple of weekends below the Guntersville Dam catfishing. Each time we were motoring up pretty close to the dam and then drifting while bumping the bottom. While the method has worked and yielded fish, we noticed we caught 75% of our fish in one spot. I'd like to anchor over it but I have no experience anchoring other than using mushroom anchors in the lake to fight slight wind.

I'd appreciate some advice or links to websites which may help. With what I have researched so far, it seems to me the best setup for the Guntersville Dam is a grapple anchor with a slip ring and chain lead due to the slightly rocky bottom. Maybe I'm wrong though. I am still totally in the dark on how to deploy it in the current and retrieval options. First and foremost I want to be safe. While cutting off an anchor would suck, I'd do it if necessary.

TIA guys.

Post Thanks / Like

You are totally right on the type anchor. Need a lot of rope and drop the anchor upstream a good ways. Allow it to catch and feed line till you reach your spot. I personally use my I pilot, it work well in tail races and swift water.

Post Thanks / Like

In the ocean we use aluminum grapples so they will bend if needed. A perfectly placed grapple in rocks will never come out

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Add a jug so if you have to cut it loose it can be retrieved. Longer rope helps as the angle keeps anchor on the bottom.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Always anchor from the bow. Lots of line out, wrap it around a cleat so you can get it off in a hurry. Like Nimrod said put you a Big jug on the end. That way if you have to release in a hurry just unwind and let it go. Then circle around,pick up jug and swing wide and get above anchor to retrieve.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Guntersville is good about warning before releasing water, but not always. Anchoring is with extreme caution and yes, keep a good sharp knife close to your anchor rope and do not hesitate to cut.

Otherwise, the advice previously listed is all good. Personally I prefer a Kedge type anchor with a release line for rocky bottoms. I know two anchor lines are not appealing with the release rope does not have to be all that big and saves a lot of aggravation.

Post Thanks / Like

Default i have anchored there. usually ive anchored where people call the low position......d

Downstream of the old fishcamp/ boat rental dock. Found the longer the anchor rope the easier the anchoring. Also attaching an empty sealed plastic jug to rope outside of rope tie off in case have to unanchor quick.....rope can be reattached. I never anchpr wotj turbines off......jmo.
    Quote Originally Posted by scout-j-m View Post
    Ive spent the last couple of weekends below the Guntersville Dam catfishing. Each time we were motoring up pretty close to the dam and then drifting while bumping the bottom. While the method has worked and yielded fish, we noticed we caught 75% of our fish in one spot. I'd like to anchor over it but I have no experience anchoring other than using mushroom anchors in the lake to fight slight wind.

I'd appreciate some advice or links to websites which may help. With what I have researched so far, it seems to me the best setup for the Guntersville Dam is a grapple anchor with a slip ring and chain lead due to the slightly rocky bottom. Maybe I'm wrong though. I am still totally in the dark on how to deploy it in the current and retrieval options. First and foremost I want to be safe. While cutting off an anchor would suck, I'd do it if necessary.

TIA guys.

Post Thanks / Like

This type of anchor is what you need, it is a grapple style that will release if it gets stuck. River Grapple Anchors Have lost mushroom anchors below guntersville before, it is full if rocks and junk that eats anchors. As said before, only tie off to the front of the boat and never the back, if for some reason, the front anchor lets go and you are tied to the back, the swift current will sink the boat before you can react. Always be mindful of the rope and never let it get close to the prop. If it does and the boat gets backward in the current, you will sink. To retrieve, pull yourself upstream with the rope or idle slowly up to get it, keeping the rope tight as you go. Just use common sense and you will be fine. And keep a sharp knife handy.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the replies. I like the idea of the float on the anchor line. I knew it was used for fisherman catching monsters who had to chase the fish with the boat and needed to unhook and come back to their anchor. Never thought of it also acting as a way to save the anchor in the event the line needed to be cut.

I now have a follow-up question. After looking at anchors more last night I began to wonder how these slip ring anchors actually land and grab the bottom right side up...meaning the slip ring is on the top and not pinned between the bottom and the anchor which would seem to eliminate the slip ring functionality. I'm just unsure how they will fall in the water when it is flowing fast.

Post Thanks / Like

This anchor is expensive and honestly more than I would want to pay but seems like a very smart design. Seems to address the concern I had above regarding the slip ring getting caught underneath the anchor. Digger Anchor | Bass Pro Shops

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast