Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BPS return policy question

Post Thanks / Like

Default BPS return policy question

My 8 year old daughter took up an interest fishing on a recent trip to the Tennessee river after years of me trying to get her to go fishing with me. We spend a week every year at our friends' lake house and their daughters fish from their dock and both had their own spin-cast combos and I saw Lily pick one up a couple times and it looked like she was having fun casting it out and reeling it in so when we got home I went to BassPro and bought her her own rod and reel. I got her a spin-cast combo just to get her started since she seemed to be able to handle those pretty easily.

We tested it out at the in-laws' pond this weekend and after about an hour of use the handle came appart and part of it was moving freely up and down the but of the rod blank. I debated about just returning it but she wanted to fish and I didnt want to deal with the hassle of driving back to BPS and standing in line and all that so I got some super glue and tried to glue it back together. Right as I pushed the two pieces of the handle back together, one turned slightly and the glue immediately set so now the eyes on the rod are not in line with the reel and I cant get the two pieces back appart to line the reel back up with the eyes.

What are the chances BPS will still allow me to return/exchange it after I tried to fix it myself and made it worse? I cant find the receipt but they did scan my rewards card when I bought it and I used my debit card so my bank should have a record of the transaction as well.

Also, I noticed after a couple of casts that as she reeled line in there was this brown oily liquid dripping out of the reel. Is this normal for spin-cast reels and can I expect it to stop after the reel is broken in?

If they do allow me to return/exchange it, should I look for a different model or get another of the same and hope the first one was just a bad apple? She really loved the combo and I even found a rooster-tail that perfectly matched the pink/purple color of the rod and reel.
    I got 350 heads on a 305 engine.
    I get 6 miles to the gallon.
    I aint got no good intentions.

Post Thanks / Like

Two points:

1. I've never had any problems returning stuff to Bass Pro (as long as you have the receipt.)

2. IMO, the cheap spincast outfits sold as "kid's rods" are pure garbage. Here are some alternatives:

a) Zebco Omega or Omega Pro spincast
    b) OLD Zebco 33 or Johnson Century from ebay
    c) spinning reel

Post Thanks / Like

BPS is great with returning their products, no questions asked. If you used your rewards card they can use that as a receipt. I've had to do that a couple times at the BPS in Independence, Mo. Hope that helps!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree on the rod and reel combos. You can get a Shakespeare outfit with an Ugly Stik for under $30 or a Zebco 33 combo in the same price range but those kiddie combos are mostly toys. However, you can get either the Shakespeare or Zebco with Pink or Pink Camo trim. I got my DIL one like that and she loves it.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

Disagree with some of the others. BPS is a pain until you get firm with them. If it's a BPS brand combo you won't need receipt. It will have one year warranty

Post Thanks / Like

BPS has a Tiny Lite spinning combo for under $20 and I bought three of them and they work great. I have not had any issues with them. They will accept returns easily. Don't tell them you glued it. Just tell them about the oil coming out and that you didn't notice the rod was crooked. They will take it back.
    Try the Tiny Lite. Good combo for cheap.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

You won't have any problem with BPS taking that rod back especially on one of their products.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you considered emailing BPS and asking them. Goober.

Post Thanks / Like

X2 with dbd!! Old 33's and Johnson centurys and BPS rods are really good, at least the ones I have. The new 33's have changed the inside spin cap and reel cover angle's have been changed and they are not smooth. My grand daughters first rod was a little Zebco 22 outfit and I just took the line off replaced it and tightened everything up and fresh grease.

She's grown so much I have to get her a new outfit and I'm going to get her a Zebco Indestructable in light action and haven't decided on a reel yet but the Omega series is at the top of the list - still checking flea markets for used OLD 33's. Even if I have to spend $50 or $60 on an outfit I'll know she's fishing with good stuff and you really need that so the kids don't lose interest.

Heck I still use an old Zebco 1 classic for crankbait fishing and it's great and I'm a big kid!!!!!!!!LOL

Post Thanks / Like

X2 with dbd!! Old 33's and Johnson centurys and BPS rods are really good, at least the ones I have. The new 33's have changed the inside spin cap and reel cover angle's have been changed and they are not smooth. My grand daughters first rod was a little Zebco 22 outfit and I just took the line off replaced it and tightened everything up and fresh grease.

She's grown so much I have to get her a new outfit and I'm going to get her a Zebco Indestructable in light action and haven't decided on a reel yet but the Omega series is at the top of the list - still checking flea markets for used OLD 33's. Even if I have to spend $50 or $60 on an outfit I'll know she's fishing with good stuff and you really need that so the kids don't lose interest.

Heck I still use an old Zebco 1 classic for crankbait fishing and it's great and I'm a big kid!!!!!!!!LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast