Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rod

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod

What would be a good rod for casting 1/16 oz jigs. I had a lite action shimano rod (8ft) that would cast a jig a long way. It got broken and shimano does not make them any more. Any suggestions?

Sam

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 6'6" lightning rod a few years old, 2 piece. Has a soft tip and will sling a jig a very long way. Affordable, though mine was a gift, and enough backbone in the middle to control a good fish, or a surprise fish. Mine says medium action but acts like a medium light.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're going to use it strictly for casting jigs (no slip float use) ... then I can recommend you take a look at the Norsemen Outdoors ESP line of rods. I use a 6'6" PowerLite for my jig casting, and I also use 1/16oz jigs (most often). You may want to look at the 8' Lite or the 7' PowerLite, depending on how much rod length factors into the way you fish.

ESP rods have extended handles (commonly called "poodle tail handles") for balance & leverage. They're tips are fast action, and have plenty of backbone in the lower core. They have graphite handles ... Tenn Style (no fixed reel seat) ... and metalic rings around the blank that's inside the handle (transmits vibrations from blank to handle to hand). The tip eye & tip end series of guides are "micro guides" (which is why I don't recommend slip float use).

Putting a wide spool or long cast spool reel with quality limp line ... will make casting for distance and accuracy an easy task. But, picking a reel that will balance the rod is a bigger factor. You should be able to put the reel on the handle, where it feels comfortable to hold, and then place the rod on your finger (at the front end of the handle) and have it balance there. Tip heavy or handle heavy outfits will not perform as good as a balanced outfit, and it will become uncomfortable to use within a short period of casting. A balanced outfit becomes an extension of your arm ... an unbalanced outfit creates stress in your wrist or forearm as you try and compensate for the weight difference in the tip or butt end of the rod.

For what it's worth ... I use a Shimano Aero 100 on my 6'6" ESP, spooled with Vicious Panfish 6lb test ... and it's a balanced outfit that serves me well for casting & dock shooting duties.

... cp

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bass Pro has the Rod in an 8' ft Crappie max signature series crappie rods!!! Did not think I would like the orange tip but would not fish with out it!!!
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I have a St. Croix EYECON 7' Finesse I bought a couple of years ago. I felt funny buying a walleye rod for crappie, but they don't seem to mind. I use it to cast light jigs for crappie and bluegill. It's light, has nice backbone, and casts the jigs a mile. They're over $100 but I tried a bunch of less expensive rods for casting jigs, and just couldn't find the right one for me. You might want to at least give it a look.

Post Thanks / Like

You didn't say what your budget is? That would be significant in recommending an appropriate rod for your replacement. However, if you can go for about $50.+- or so, then by all means check out the B n' M Sam's SuperSentive (SHSS) series. I have two of the 7' model and one of the 9'. Great rods at a decent price.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by castle View Post
    What would be a good rod for casting 1/16 oz jigs.
    There are hundreds of rods on the market that will work just fine. You've already gotten some good suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not home so not sure of the model #
    I have 3 Okuma 6'6" ultra light trout rods that I love for crappie. They are reasonably priced at less than $30 if you look around online. I bought mine at Amazon. They cast a 1/16th or a 1/32 jig great. Light enough tip to see the lightest bite.
    Some folks fish to live. I live to fish

Post Thanks / Like

MHX custom rod. Light weight fast action. Model S-842. I also recommend Microwave guide eyes. The first eye has a second one in the middle that takes the line loop coming out of the reel and shoots it straight though the rest of the eyes.

I only build on MHX rods now. Lifetime warranty too.

I built a 6'6 one for "Perch" out in Wyoming. Shoot him a PM and ask him how far he can throw a 1/32 or 1/16 oz jig.