Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Product Review; Fireline 2# Test Crystal Braid

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Product Review; Fireline 2# Test Crystal Braid

I now have four 6-hr. fishing trips under my belt using this super light braid. During those trips, I've caught hundreds of crappie, bluegill & yellow perch. I've been a long time fan of Fireline, right from the get-go, so I'm no stranger to it, or how it performs. However, as I previously posted, I had some real bad experiences with 2# test Nanofil, so I was very skeptical about this pound rating in Fireline as well.

First off, I have Fireline Crystal on three of my current crappie rigs and two other bass rigs (not reviewed here). The crappie rigs involved in this discussion are:

1) My 1st. season with the new 9' B n' M SHSS. Filled with 2# test Crystal + 5' section of 2# test mono leader (T-XL) at the business end.

2) My 1st. season using the 7' B n' M SHSS, filled with 2# test Crystal + 5' section of 2# test mono leader (T-XL). I've been using this rod for 4 seasons now. Just the line is new.

3) My 4th. season on a 6 1/2' BPS UL rod. Filled with 4# test Crystal + 5' 4# test mono leader (T-XL)

(I have another B n' M 7' SHSS that I also use for crappie, but it's filled with 2# test Trilene XL fully, so in not applicable to this review.)

The number 3 mentioned 4# rig has been flawless in it's performance for the four seasons I've used it. No problems, no worries. Knots are easy to tie and I've only had to change leaders on it twice since I started using it, due to wear & tear. However, the leader joining knot, the Alberto, was never broken by accident or by fish.

I used the same knot with both the 2# test rigs as well. After these four recent trips I can conclude:

1) Very little, if any difference in productivity and/or durability of this 2# rated Crystal, to the 4# rated Crystal. That is significant if you consider that it now gives me two different depth/speed options to use at the same time. Allowing me to cover more of the water column with one lure.

2) Equal knot strength with the connection knot - the Alberto - between the two pound ratings of Fireline Crystal.

3) Cast distances are increased only slightly with the Crystal line as opposed to straight monofilament. However, that doesn't take into consideration the lack of line twist and/or coiling which can be a problem when using straight monofilaments or fluorocarbon lines.

4) Almost no break-offs on hook-sets, compared to all the problems I had with a similar set-up and Nanofil. Actually, even using straight Nanofil, I had way too many break-offs, regardless of how "easy" I became at setting the hook. The breaks would occur with very little pressure right at the leader joint. Didn't seem to matter if I used the Alberto or the double Uni knot for this joint. (Sometimes they would break off without any hook set at all!)

Now some of you may ask why I would even consider using such a light line for crappie. Well, up here, the waters we fish are "open" (little if any brush or obstacles on structure) and the water is very clear, with visibility down to about 12'. Personally, I've fished with folks using 6# & 8# test lines and have always done significantly better with my strike ratios than they had. Sometimes as much as 3 to 1. So, it is a significant factor to take into account when fishing northern, clear waters.

I will go up to my 4# rig when conditions require it - such as with the "speed drifting" technique I've previously reported on. This way I can vary and control the depth & speed of my offering as needed. If you were using 6#+ line, your lure would be literally water skiing under these windy conditions! Using the light line and heavier jigs, I can get a few feet deeper - if that is where the fish are.

There are two negatives to the 2# test Fireline, as I see it:

1) Difficult for these old eyes to see well. I have to make sure I do not have to tie an Alberto knot on the water under windy conditions! If I do, I'm toast!

2) Difficult to find this line, as availability if very limited. Every source I've found it at had only one spool of it in stock. I usually let Amazon.com find it for me and I purchase spools as they become available. I have only one in my "spare drawer" now and am looking for a second to have. The cost is high as well: $20.00/125 yard spool. And if you have to pay postage, that's close to $30.00. Bottom line - in my opinion - it's worth the cost.

That about sums it up for this review. I do hope it is value-added to some folks here.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice review I've always liked fireline for casting spoons for trout but never tried it for crappie...