Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Capps and Coleman rig

Post Thanks / Like

Default Capps and Coleman rig

How do you store your Capp and Coleman rigs? Do you leave them on your trolling rods? If so, how do you keep them from getting tangled?

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

My rods have the hook loop down by the handle and I hook the top hook in it and reel it tight then wrap the long leader with the sinker around the handle and push the bottom hook in to the cork handle. I store the rigs on a 6 inch long piece of 1/2 inch PVC I covered with some automotive style carpet. I just hook them the same way except I wrap the whole mess.

Post Thanks / Like

I hook the bottom hook on the first rod eye (closest to the reel) and then wrap the line around the rod and if I can, I hook the top hook in one of the other rod eyes. Seems to keep everything in place most of the time.

Also, on the pre-made C&C rigs, I use one of those foam floaty noodle things I found. Cut it down to 1' pieces and wrap your pre-made rigs around it hooking the hooks into the foam noodle.
    <--Click for Website

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Just a word of caution, guys ....

make sure you loop the hook around the "foot" of your guides, and not IN the ring of the guide itself. The hook and/or barb of the hook can scratch the inserts (ceramic) or interior surface (metal) of the guides ... which can nick the line.
    Checking for nicks on your guide inserts/interior surface is easy ... just run a dry cotton ball or Q-tip around the inner surface of the guide. If it's smooth, and no cotton threads are pulled off ... you're good. If there's a scratch or groove in the guide ... cotton threads will usually pull away from the cotton ball or Q-tip. If that happens, you may want to consider replacing the guide. ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Can someone describe to me what the C&C rig looks like?

Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like

The Capps and Coleman rig uses a 3-way swivel , with two leaders coming off to attach hooks or jigs. The top leader is anywhere from 6 to 12 inches depending on depth or weather, maybe longer if you choose. The bottom leader is 2-4 times longer than the top with an egg sinker positioned so it is lower than your top leader when held vertically. Then about 8-10 inches lower you tie your bottom bait. It provides alot of movement in your presentation or can take movement out in rough water all dependant on length of the leaders.

Post Thanks / Like

What you are calling a Colman and Capps rig has been around for many many many years. Reelfoot Lake - where Capps and Coleman live have been using them longer than either one of them have been alive. Everyone around there calls them Crappie Rigs.

You can buy any size you want at www.Grizzlyjig.com for about $22 for a case of them.

As for movement, the rougher the water the larger the weight. You want them to move horizontal while trolling, not bouncing up and down in rough water. Calm water 1/4 ounce works best form me.

And for storage, Top hook in the eye closest to the reel, and then bottom
    hook in the handle or and reel handle. and then turn the reel and snug the line. Very fast deployment. Used them for over 20 years, and I love them.

oh yea, grizzly jig has some with jig heads on them and some with feathers.

Get The Net

Post Thanks / Like

The rigs that Grizzly sell use a wire instead of a 3-way swivel. They work well but are a little more cumbersome. And I know for a fact the ones with feathers work, they landed a second place finish at this years Crappie Masters Classic at Grenada.

Post Thanks / Like

The store bought rigs are not anything like the C&C rigs. They have perfected the trolling system with them. This system has won approx. 5 National Championships and dozens of others. They have been fishing thes rig for about 26 years also. I think that I will stay with their rigs.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the C&C rig better also. I am trying a rig that works similar except it uses a dropper loop instead of the swivel. It seems to be as effective just doesn't have near as many knots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast