Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Night fishing question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night fishing question

How deep should I put my light? I am using a 2 foot long submersible led light and fishing in 20 foot deep water.
    I have been a couple of times and I put the light just under the surface of the water.
    Any night fishing tips would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

mine goes down 2-4ft. remember the light isnt magic. you still have to find your target. also there are nights when you just cant draw minnows worth a hoot for some reason.

if we knew more about the lake/res., we could get you on them faster. can we get some water details or topo map?

Post Thanks / Like

Usually most lights are suppose to be about a foot under water. So if more that that I would not go much more. You will be able to see the share going around your boat in a circle under the light.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Correct. The light is used to draw in plankton which draws in bait fish and that draws in the fish. You drop it in the water very shallow and then fish on the edge of the light either above below or around the light ball. The fish don't like to feed directly in the light. They like to ambush the bait fish on the outside edges.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by river scum View Post
    mine goes down 2-4ft. remember the light isnt magic. you still have to find your target. also there are nights when you just cant draw minnows worth a hoot for some reason.

if we knew more about the lake/res., we could get you on them faster. can we get some water details or topo map?
    Thanks for the reply. I think I know where to set up. I have asked a couple of fishermen that were headed out to night fish and they said to fish on a point where a slough meets the lake. I am mostly interested in how deep to put the light. So far I have put the light a couple of feet deep.

Post Thanks / Like

I am trying to learn this technique also
    only been out once so far. Last Saturday on Kentucky lake. water was 85 degrees was fishing on a 20' drop off. Did attract some minnows but only caught the trolling motor

Post Thanks / Like

Try the same spots you do during the day. They hold to structure either on the bottom or around trees, stumps, and pylons. Fish those first with the light and fish shallow as the water is cooler at night and the fish feed up to the light.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

I myself like the light about two feet under the water.
    FISH ON

Post Thanks / Like

I usually have the lights 1 to 2 feet deep. Draw lot more bait fish on the darker moon nights.
    Likes river scum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

We made a video with Outdoor Oklahoma that is on Youtube....Night fishing with underwater lights....we like to sink our lights closer to the thermocline...usually around 8 to 10 ft...then we use other lights around the top but we usually put four or five lights out deeper than what you are