Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hook size can be important!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hook size can be important!

As seen in the picture, jig hook sizes used vary according to lure length. Just because I downsize to a 1/32 oz jig doesn't mean not using a larger hook when needed. My most used hook size is #4 though a bit smaller hook is also common for lures 2.5" or less.

Also note the barbless jigs with wire bait keepers:

The above set up results in at least a dozen fish of all species being caught, the average being over two dozen on one lure.

Short hooks may result in missed strikes when the hit is behind the hook. Larger hooks usually have wider gaps but not always and larger hooks may impede tail action when too long for the lure.

Lastly, a partner I've been fishing with learned that a snap attached to the jig head resulted in fewer fish (my 15: to his 1) and that line size diameter is a crucial consideration depending on depth fished, lure speed and wind speed. This week I've been using far more 1/8 oz jigheads with a number 4 hook with no drop in numbers or sizes of fish caught. Every day for the last three days, I've caught over 40 fish on different species - many large crappie on 1/32 oz. jigs and 2" soft plastics; many small pan fish on 1/8 oz with #4 hook.

These 2" - 2.5" lures were the only soft plastic lures used (as usual). Curl tail grubs don't cut it for most presentations.

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I almost always use a #2

Post Thanks / Like

#2 here also. When I moved to the 2,4yrs ago, my gut hooked fish went down to almost none.
    Everyone has a secret talent they didn't know about until tequila.

Post Thanks / Like

#2 Can't se using anything else right now where I fish.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

That's why many people turn to pouring their own jigs - they can't find what they want on the shelf in a store. Mostly 6, 4 and 2's in my crappie jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty much everybody knows a #2 is the right hook size for a crappie jig

Post Thanks / Like

Same here.
    dave
    in currituck

Post Thanks / Like

I like #4 hooks for two reasons. I can rig the soft plastic almost weedless, i.e. the bass assasin or whatever fills up the hook not leaving much point to hang up and when you do, it flips off easily, usually. And with the smaller hook I catch some bluegill big enough to fillet (8'' is mininum).

thanks
    fair weather

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kycreekboy View Post
    I almost always use a #2
    I always use #2 hook on a 1/8 oz with 2'' tubes but go larger hook with 1/4 oz using 2.5'' Southern Pro Walleye Tubes for Crappie. Never fish small baits or hooks here in the south.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting discussion. I pour my own ball heads and mainly use 1/16 & 1/8 oz. sizes for crappie and panfish. I've tried hooks in #4's & #6 sizes in both these molds with equal success. I actually prefer the 6's as yellow perch & bluegill seem to have a better time getting hooked on them and it really makes no never-mind to the crappie. Never had a need to go larger than the 4's though. I know crappie could go larger with no problem, but up here, we take some pretty big bluegill as well. Consequently the #4's or even better, the #6's work exceptionally well on the big bulls.

One other point. On all my jig heads I always use a "snap hook" (Netcraft) when connecting the jigs to the line. It gives the jig a much freer and livelier action, whether drifting or retrieving the jig. Never noticed any detriment in doing so, as most of the fishing partners I go with do not use them. I'm rarely out-fished. And it's usually the other way around.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast