PDA

View Full Version : posts ruining your fishin

river scum
07-11-2014, 08:13 AM
had a topic come up in our state board i thought some of you mite benefit from. link to it- http://www.crappie.com/crappie/indiana/286861-cataract/

its talking about the results of posting too much info on fishing sites. you mite want to consider some of the points brought up before sharing your honey holes. lurkers, low integrity, no talent spot jumpers are everywhere, just waiting to wipe out your spot. laugh if you must but it happens all the time!

whats your thoughts and or first hand experience? im sure this isnt just an Indiana thing.

kickingback
07-11-2014, 09:24 AM
Sharing is a great tradition of advanced fishermen. They share locations all the time and usually in person or through a private message. It is a shame that these forums are being "watched" by non site registered people who want an easy catch. They troll for posts with specific locations. They cannot or will not do their own homework to find the crappie and want the easiest fish landing scenarios they can find.
It seems that most times posts are unintentionally giving enough information to put these lurkers on your spots if you are not careful. Giving the lake name or posting in the "state forums" is given as it helps others know which part of the state is biting. But when you put in the post "I was at this tree at this end of the lake" that is usually enough info to put people on your spot.
Just water color and temp, weather, jig color and depth fishing is all the info you need to give out. If I post and someone pm's me for more info I usually share with them because they usually share back. This is the best way I know of to not give out and dry up your favorite spot.
I have seen first hand what happens when someone gives a specific location. I remember this bridge that was producing limits last fall and when the word got out people were pissed because the boats were piled up at the bridge and people couldn't even drive their boats through at times. You could literally walk from boat to boat as they tied off under that bridge. Well in less than 1 month that bridge and that bayou have been fished out it seems. It is hard to find crappie there now. I know they will return but the damage was done.

Iwannafish
07-11-2014, 09:39 AM
I like to share. I will post pics when I catch a mess. I will even tell what lake I was on. Probably even give some general info about color and depth.......If you want more info than that, PM me and I will probably tell you what tree I was tied to.

M R Dux
07-11-2014, 11:53 AM
It happens everywhere. They are called internet scouts or just trolls. Waterfowl hunters are probably the worst.

I get some PMs from folks that are genuinely mad that I won't give SPECIFICS since they are coming to KY Lake and don't want to put in any time looking for their own spots or $$ to hire a guide.

Most of us here are sensible enough to know not to ask for, or give out, gps coordinates or specific info but some are not.

General info should suffice for anybody but if it doesn't, too bad. If I have gotten good info from somebody on PM, I am more than glad to share similar info with them ON PM. Putting specifics on a forum is cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Slab
07-11-2014, 12:16 PM
Like I posted on that IN thread:

There are plenty of examples of the good stuff this site brings to one another too you know. It's just another media. And heck, 99 percent of us don't live anywhere near around anyone's particular lake. Focus more on sharing crappie fishing tips and techniques. We're all fishermen, we share the same passion, enjoy the camaraderie brought about by the site. Don't mention the specific spots and it'll all be good.

Minus 1
07-11-2014, 12:54 PM
I like to share. I will post pics when I catch a mess. I will even tell what lake I was on. Probably even give some general info about color and depth.......If you want more info than that, PM me and I will probably tell you what tree I was tied to.

Dang wannafish , I sure wish I lived closer to you !!!:biggrin

Crappitier
07-11-2014, 12:56 PM
we share the same passion, enjoy the camaraderie brought about by the site. Don't mention the specific spots and it'll all be good.

Not many post fishing reports on this site anymore! I've posted a couple "general" reports and never mentioned the name of the lake.

No big deal! I have a neat waterproof camera, and I love to take pix (I have thousands and thousands over the past few years). I go fishing almost every day and all year long ....... it's my passion! Three local lakes, all the nearby trout streams, and all over the Susquehanna. In the winter, I love looking at all the fishing trips I have had!

I don't agree that "trollers" will see a report and then go there to wipe out all the fish! LOL They are probably too stupid to catch a lot anyway? A fishing report (with lots of pix) is a beautiful thing. Most folks love to see fishing forums with lots of fish pix?

I, for one, would love to see more fishing reports with pix of the fish, and the lures used to catch them. This wouldn't make me want to drive south and look for that exact spot and try to catch the very same fish? And I've heard that a lot of those "southern boys" carry guns in their boat? I wouldn't want to get shot over a crappie?

warmouth
07-11-2014, 02:07 PM
When you keep seeing honey holes that you've fished for years, posted on the internest with cove names, depth, etc., it gets irritating.

bfish
07-11-2014, 05:35 PM
My two most local reservoirs are 39,000 and 36,000 acres. Plenty of room to give general locations. I don't give out specific gps coordinates but if they can figure out where I am fishing from a closely cropped picture, IMO they already know the area well enough to not need my help.

tahoe 50
07-11-2014, 07:22 PM
Just my two cents worth. On the Va board we give "general info" Want more then a pm will get you what you need. I joined this board as the Va folks were very helpful,friendly down to earth want to help you out bunch. When I was a bass fisherman you got no help whats so ever. I have had the pleasure of being taught by some of the most wonderful guys on here. Things I never knew about. I don't care about your "Honey Hole" I'll find my own, just teach me how is all I ask. I am not a big poster but I say things when its worthy. I don't catch a lot of fish as I am still in training. But I can tell you this I read a lot and practice a lot and I mean a lot. This IS THE BEST SITE HANDS DOWN because of all the info.

zummy
07-11-2014, 09:29 PM
I've seen it flat out ruin places duck hunting. Just to test it I took a picture at a marsh that barely had water in it. Next day 6 trucks in the parking lot. Hadn't been a vehicle or duck in it all season.

skeetbum
07-11-2014, 09:39 PM
Many good points so far. Pics give away lots of unintended info, so several folks I know won't post pictures taken anywhere but the ramp. I gave up one years ago that looked like a parking lot the next time I went. I even have one that I didn't build(put in the structure) but carries my name. And I've been run off of it being told that it was "their" spot. They hadn't built it either. Had a Pontoon follow me today and cut in front of me several times to try and get the fish I was catching. It did him no good as he caught 1 or 2 as we were loading up. Even the Granddaughter commented on it. Human nature. I love people but human nature kicks my butt on a regular basis. Had they asked and been a little less underhanded about it I would have shared what I knew. The way he went about it, he got nothing. This site has for me, as it has for many others, taught me at a rapid pace and opened friendships with people I haven't and might never meet. That is priceless. Others have shared with me and I pass it on. Unshared info has limited value. As others have already said;" teach me how and I can do the rest". Remember we represent many others when we put a CDC or club sticker on the car or boat.

crappielimits
07-11-2014, 10:27 PM
They bit yesterday!:biggrin

Barnacle Bill
07-12-2014, 12:04 AM
For those that don't know about it this is exactly why some of the states have a moderated sub-forum. Non-members or lurkers cannot read posts put there. You must be a member for 25 days and have at least 25 posts to read the posts put there.

BoarBuster
07-12-2014, 01:11 AM
[QUOTE=mrdux;2737592]Most of us here are sensible enough to know not to ask for, or give out, gps coordinates or specific info but some are not.
QOUTE]

I think you should post the GPS locations. Just change them to the middle of some parking lot or some downtown location thats not even near water. :biggrin

chaunc
07-12-2014, 06:25 AM
And now you know why i give reports but post most of my catches in the sink. My sink shots are famous. :biggrin
Guys will find out what your boat looks like from the " what's your boat look like thread " stickied on here, and when you post what lake you're catching fish on, hunt you down, and fish those spots when they get the chance. You do all that work to find the spots, then they benefit from your work. IT HAPPENS. Post it and expect company no matter what lake it is. nonono

crappielimits
07-12-2014, 08:59 AM
And now you know why i give reports but post most of my catches in the sink. My sink shots are famous. :biggrin
Guys will find out what your boat looks like from the " what's your boat look like thread " stickied on here, and when you post what lake you're catching fish on, hunt you down, and fish those spots when they get the chance. You do all that work to find the spots, then they benefit from your work. IT HAPPENS. Post it and expect company no matter what lake it is. nonono

I found this out the hard way. Had a guy idle up to while I was trolling at Talquin. He said he saw my report on here. When I asked his name on the site, "he said I am not a member but look daily!" My partner later told me he watched him hit man overboard on his Lowrance while beside us. Sure enough he was there the next day. I don't mind helping anybody, Heck I have taken guys I met at the landing out for free guided trips, but don't take advantage. I once helped 2 guys from out of town and later found out they were at the dock with 2 others later that week bragging about taking 470+ fish home. That's twice their possession limit. I work hard to respect my resources, but am I hurting them through helping others?

Rees Guide
07-12-2014, 09:08 AM
I help a lot of folks when I can, sometimes I can't but when I can I will help through pm or on the phone. I don't mind this at all and most are from out of state. I post pics but pretty much just general info.
Going somewhere on a trip and its tuff sux, hope when I get to travel someone will lend me a hand like they did last weekend.

luremaker
07-12-2014, 10:21 AM
Shoot, I thought people horning in on your locations was just a Missouri thing?

On the local lakes around here, especially in the spring during the white bass run, if you catch a fish you'd better try and slip it in the boat as quietly as possible. Otherwise every boat in that can see you will be right on you trying to catch fish too.

And trying to night fish for crappie under the lights.......well let's just say it's so obvious that everyone gets your honey hole then that's on the lake the night you are fishing.

Can't say I've ever heard of anyone around here watching the forums and then going to someone's honey hole. But, it may happen.

chaunc
07-12-2014, 03:49 PM
Fished a lake in NW Ohio this morning. 10 to 15 boat trailers in the lot when i got there. Nobody in the area of the lake i planned to start at. Got to area, setup, and before i had my second fish in the boat, i had 6 boats within 50 yds of me and they were getting closer. Pulled poles up and went to the other end of the lake. Nobody followed me. Found a productive brushpile and started catching crappies and gills one after another. Here they come. Picked up my marker right away and drifted away from that spot. 2 guys in a bass boat with side imaging tried to find the pile but by the time they got close enough i had moved quite a ways away. 25 fish in the cooler so i called it a day. I really dont like fishing this lake on weekends. Too many trollers trolling for spots.

NIMROD
07-13-2014, 02:09 AM
We on the Arkansas board are all too familiar with too much information and crowds. Like it or not there will be lurkers who just surf for fishing reports. We had a new sub forum added to slow this down but it is not used much. Most just cut back on details or just don't post after hotspots got hammered.

Moderated AR Fishing Reports Forum
This forum is only for detailed fishing reports or specific waypoint information. Only logged in members can view this forum. And only if they have been members for 25 days AND have 25 posts. All threads here require moderator approval to be displayed. No Hi-Jacking threads, this is about fishing, not BS (BS posts will be deleted).

river scum
07-16-2014, 05:43 AM
so what the heck you do about it, if the members only forums dont get used? what about a sticky warning for new new members? an auto PM to all new members for a warning? at least they could be warned. lol

most fishermen suffer from an illness to want to help others. its a general sickness caused by being mostly good folks. the integrity of mankind is definitely getting thin! i just hate read more stories like these. some far worse than i have experienced. i really dont know what i would say to some idiot that pulled up on me close. indiana has a harassment of sportsman law on the books, maybe that would apply?

wicklundrh
07-16-2014, 01:58 PM
I look at it this way:

Almost all of us that are members of this site share a common bond.... Nope, it isn't crappie fishing either. No matter if you are in the Ohio board, Arkansas, Michigan, Wisconsin, or any other one, we all have the same love for fishing, learning, and teaching. In other words, "we are like minded individuals".

I joined this site in 2009 to help me become a better crappie fisherman. I don't like to go to a lake and just catch fish (anyone can do that). I like to go and target a species. My success is measured not in the numbers I catch but if I caught what I was after, if I figured them out that day, or I found them after they dissappeared from another spot. A few years later and I am able to pass on information to others.

I carry a Crappie.Com sticker on my boat and I tell people all the time that I feel as though I have an obligation to represent crappie.com the best way that I know how. Whether it is helping someone from out of town find a spot to fish, giving someone pointers on baits, or even giving some fish to unsuccessful fisherman. I tell people about our site all the time and I encourage them to join. But, I encourage them by treating them the way I would like to be treated. They go to a place I reccomend, they catch fish, they remember the sticker, they join the site because of how they were treated by me. That is how I view it in my mind.

Yes, people are always going to be looking for the easy way out. But, most of those people are not members of our site. Basically because of what I said about "we are like minded individuals". Their minds don't work like ours do. I am a member of other sites and I see everything that has been mentioned in this thread all the time. From name calling, bashing, you name it.

We're fisherman, always guarded by nature. Hey guy, where did you catch that fish? In the river......

I'll leave you with this food for thought:
Salmon fishing in the late 70's and early 80's on lake Michigan was like a boom town. Fish were everywhere and gobbled up by the masses and lax bag limits. Soon, fishing became harder, gone were the people that fished every weekend. This was way before the internet. When they did fish, the only source of information was local charter Captains. Obviously, there were not many fish to be had and the captains were tight lipped so what did people do.... they followed the captains. Soon you had a mess on your hands. Tangled lines... fights at the dock. All over fish. Eventually, the captains went further off shore (where the others couldn't go). Fast forward to the late 90's into the new millenium... fishing returned yet people still followed the charter captains. This time, the captain got together, started local web sites that related to fishing success, how to catch fish, what they were using, what to look for, and how to do it. They were educating the public. In short order, your fleet became more knowledgable of WHY the fish were in a certain spot, what to look for and so on. Instead of taking a man fishing so they could eat for a day, they taught a man to fish......

slabbacks
07-16-2014, 07:21 PM
Like others I came here to learn more about crapoie fishing and over time the tips and info has helped out alot. I enjoy doing post that help others with Q I started out with. Expesially in the SI forum and what I've learned from others.

We will always have those, be it bass eye or crappie ect. fisherman who will act as others have spoke of. We just need to be aware of what is put in a post when it comes to helping vs info others will exploit.

BigKyd
07-18-2014, 04:50 PM
had a topic come up in our state board i thought some of you mite benefit from. link to it- http://www.crappie.com/crappie/indiana/286861-cataract/

its talking about the results of posting too much info on fishing sites. you mite want to consider some of the points brought up before sharing your honey holes. lurkers, low integrity, no talent spot jumpers are everywhere, just waiting to wipe out your spot. laugh if you must but it happens all the time!

whats your thoughts and or first hand experience? im sure this isnt just an Indiana thing.

you seem like you would fit in real good on the Mississippi board.

Tracker123
07-18-2014, 06:30 PM
Most of us folks on the Louisiana forum pretty much share where, what on, how, etc. We help each other out, as well as welcome all the new comers. There are even some who have posted some excellent maps of certain areas. We help everyone, because that's who we are. No point for us to keep secrets because we do it for fun and want to share. My two cents.

skeetbum
07-18-2014, 09:46 PM
I help a lot of folks when I can, sometimes I can't but when I can I will help through pm or on the phone. I don't mind this at all and most are from out of state. I post pics but pretty much just general info.
Going somewhere on a trip and its tuff sux, hope when I get to travel someone will lend me a hand like they did last weekend.

Though my trip fell through you were a big help to me.

cpd21
07-19-2014, 09:20 AM
We post a lot on where and what we are catching them on but we have over 600 miles of shoreline and put different brushpiles that we can move too....what we found is that people will see you fishing there and then hit it but that cant be helped....we just try to have several different locations because what may be hot today is dead the next

skiptomylu
07-19-2014, 11:41 AM
We'll if someone want to know where I fish they would need to come with me. In part because this lake is huge and even the part I live on is big as a lot of lakes. Where I live it's almost a mile across and I am 5 miles from the main lake. I never tell where I am fishin other than the large area I fish in, but then really you would have to include the bottom 20 miles of the lake which is really huge with 3 huge fingers like I like on, 3 on the Texas side and one on the Louisiana side. So I never tell where I am and usually just the kind of water, meaning depth and such. I guess you would need to see this lake to completely understand what I mean, but with 1200 miles of shoreline it's big!

deathb4disco
07-19-2014, 01:11 PM
Right now, I'm watching a big debate on another site. The problem started when one guy starting posting Youtube videos of how and where he was catching fish. Now (surprise, surprise) a LOT more people are fishing this place. The bottom line is you can't post a lot of specific fishing info on the internet and then be surprised when hordes of people show up on your favorite spots. Obviously, larger waters not affected to the same degree as smaller waters.

Cane Pole
07-19-2014, 02:14 PM
Folks have been fishing in my locale for years and years. They have yet to "fish it out". I have seen BOAT WARS in front of my house over brush I put out.

TxBigRed
08-03-2014, 02:53 PM
:fish
http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l394/dritchie01/fishinhole_zps0bcfbf2b.jpg (http://s329.photobucket.com/user/dritchie01/media/fishinhole_zps0bcfbf2b.jpg.html)
:fish

Slab
08-03-2014, 03:54 PM
Folks have been fishing in my locale for years and years. They have yet to "fish it out". I have seen BOAT WARS in front of my house over brush I put out.

If that lake ever gets fished out, we're all in trouble! lol

Gabepeeps
08-03-2014, 05:15 PM
If I was gonna post a spot where I caught fish, it would never be one of my honey holes. I'd give out a spot where you could catch fish but it you'd have to weed through them to find any keepers which is what I do. Usually a dock or two that may hold some 6-8" fish or something like that. And that's only if I know they wouldn't keep a lot of them either. I believe in letting them grow up before harvesting them. I like going out to try and find them. It's a challenge, escpecially fishing a lake that's not known for crappie fishing. I'm a member of a club and we really don't give out specifics on where but what to look for.

If I was a guide, which I plan on being in the next couple of years, I wouldn't give out any holes. That's your bread n butter!

I joined to to learn how to be a better crappie fisherman through technique and trial n error. Not all tactics work everywhere. I started making my own cover and brush piles. Learned where to place them. How to pattern their movements. A lil info from each state. My lake has a lil of everything so I want to know where to look given a section of the lake I plan on fishing. I'd like to thank everyone for all that I've learned in the short time I've been a member.

try'n hard
08-03-2014, 08:36 PM
This is a non issue for me. Gotta be able to catch a few before I get a stalker!

Fishinfool1998
08-03-2014, 08:51 PM
I have given lots of fishing spots to others to catch fish and have even had other people pull up while I was fishing honey holes it's all how you fish the spot and as all of you know they are very finicky fish and only bite if they are hungry... That being said your average joe can't pick up a jig turn on his trolling motor and get the rod at the right depth and the jig at the right speed... Jig fishin is an art if you learn from trial and error... Minners are another one of those things that 6" more off the bottom and you aren't gonna catchem. Catching big crappie is one of the hardest fish to catch cause they didn't get big by being stupid. I have watched fish move from 2 ft to 12 ft in the matter of hours, fishing a lake that has a fluctuation in elevation every few days seems to givem lockjaw! If your afraid your fishin spots gonna be fished out when you see another boat coming pull up and move

rnvinc
08-03-2014, 09:08 PM
If'n anybody gets close to me ...

I just aim my SideScan at 'em and frizz up their sonar screen for 'em...

Rickie

kickingback
08-04-2014, 10:28 AM
You know it's funny how you can and will watch a TV fishing show or read a fishing magazine that gives detailed video and pics of the spots the pros in the media are at and no one complains. But let someone post a pic or spot in a forum and everyone gets bent. It is really funny how that happens. Go figure... :)

russelln114
08-04-2014, 07:59 PM
I've had several who have hijacked some of my favorite spots then later bragged that it was their spot. That's why I have 30 favorite spots on my lake

wannabe fisherman
08-05-2014, 05:17 AM
You know it's funny how you can and will watch a TV fishing show or read a fishing magazine that gives detailed video and pics of the spots the pros in the media are at and no one complains. But let someone post a pic or spot in a forum and everyone gets bent. It is really funny how that happens. Go figure... :)

not a problem for me, 99 out of 100 of those shows are on lakes that I'll never get to. :Rofl

Takeum
08-05-2014, 09:34 AM
Wow... It never ceases to amaze me how selfish some people are about helping others in the sport they love so much,,l learned years ago in archery hunting that I get much more satisfaction in helping others then I get from the hunt itself.... So if any of you fisherman out there care to help someone out with fishing and catching fish,, please feel free to send me anything that will help other fisherman out...Warning though,,,, things you may share with me may reach another fisherman one day with the desire to learn how to fish,,,,it's about fisherman helping fisherman so we can continue the sport and tradition of fishing with to our family and friends,,,

Takeum
08-05-2014, 09:43 AM
We on the Arkansas board are all too familiar with too much information and crowds. Like it or not there will be lurkers who just surf for fishing reports. We had a new sub forum added to slow this down but it is not used much. Most just cut back on details or just don't post after hotspots got hammered.

Moderated AR Fishing Reports Forum
This forum is only for detailed fishing reports or specific waypoint information. Only logged in members can view this forum. And only if they have been members for 25 days AND have 25 posts. All threads here require moderator approval to be displayed. No Hi-Jacking threads, this is about fishing, not BS (BS posts will be deleted).

I believe the Arkansas forums use what some would call" Baiting " by hinting the name of lakes and all to make them want to guess and seek further into what everyone is talking about when it comes to names of lakeX or O and people take a liking to such things,,, so thank yourselves for baiting the curiosity cats out there,,,,

Takeum
08-05-2014, 09:57 AM
Short story for ya,,,,, I guy shared with his friend how to catch trout one day,, the guy he shared it with was my stepdad. My stepdad shared it with me as well as my 3 brothers .He also showed us how to Tie our own flies and make our own fishing poles , which introduced me and my brothers into the world of fishing trout,,,This has stayed with me now some 50 years and I have shared it with all with my friends and family as well as with anyone who listens.... now for the friends name of my stepdad,,, You may know him to be quite the good baseball player,,,, Ted Williams,,, thanks Ted if your listening,,,,

Cmj
08-05-2014, 12:09 PM
Last year I inadvertantly posted the location of one of my honey holes on the Arkansas River. The fishing in this spot was unbelieveable, and I always had it to myself. The next time I went there after posting this info, there were 6 boats in the small cove, and if looks could kill I would have been dead six times over!!! Not wanting to infringe on "their" spot, I just turned around and found another spot that was just as good as the first. I never made that mistake again, deciding to give details by pm only......UNTIL someone recently posted information that I gave them by pm., now I am done with that too. I started out on this site freely posting any info that I thought may help someone. After that bit me several times, I started to be a little more reserved, and once you experience it, so will you.

CrappiePappy
08-05-2014, 02:30 PM
Wow... It never ceases to amaze me how selfish some people are about helping others in the sport they love so much,,l learned years ago in archery hunting that I get much more satisfaction in helping others then I get from the hunt itself.... So if any of you fisherman out there care to help someone out with fishing and catching fish,, please feel free to send me anything that will help other fisherman out...Warning though,,,, things you may share with me may reach another fisherman one day with the desire to learn how to fish,,,,it's about fisherman helping fisherman so we can continue the sport and tradition of fishing with to our family and friends,,,

The sharing of information, tips, tactics, and even tackle is what this site is all about, and it goes on day after day. Where the concern lies is when unscrupulous non-members troll sites like this one, with the express intent of finding these hot spots to rape & pillage the resources. One can teach another angler new techniques, advise them on new baits & riggings & equipment, and even point them in the general direction of where to try their new found information ... without specifically naming or showing a picture of the "spot" where they had their success.

With the technology of today, it's quite easy to cruise a lake & mark every spot that other boats are working, just by cruising by within 100ft of that boat. But that takes a SI capable unit, costing in the thousands of dollars. The meathog lurkers won't spend that kind of money, or make the effort to become a sharing member of a website, when they can simply cruise the discussion boards & find where someone has all but given out the GPS coordinates of a spot where they had great success. They're not interested in learning, sharing, or being part of a membership that teaches .... they're too lazy & self-centered for that. They want success & glory with the least amount of effort. IMHO

... cp :kewl

troutcrazy
08-05-2014, 11:10 PM
I agree that spots get ruined when they are mentioned publicly on the internet. It's good practice to avoid posting specific locations.

In person I'm pretty talkative, and I'll also share via PM. Just not where Google can see it!

Crappitier
08-06-2014, 12:33 AM
I realize that I like to "yap" a bit about fishing! I enjoy taking pix, and I used to like to post a lot (I'm becoming lazy with my picture taking)!

I've posted thousands of fishing reports with lots of pix (usually on fly fishing sites, but a couple on here) and in all those years I have never seen any "spot burning" caused by me? What I have found is: a awful lot of wonderful people who give me more info than I give them! The best folks in the world are folks who love to fish!

One time a guy I didn't know at all (fishing in the world famous Yellow Breeches) gave me a fly that he was catchin' trout on! LOL People are great!

If you are catchin' Crappie like crazy over a submerged tree, well! anybody who sees that structure will give it a shot? They probably didn't see a pic post on the internet? They know that Crappie love structure?

I just don't buy it! Fish pix are a wonderful thing!

SlabSlider
08-06-2014, 04:02 AM
This subject is moot in my opinion.
I know most of you watch crappie shows on TV or read magazines about lakes all the time and in those media you see the lake and locations they are fishing. Yet, you don't come in here and complain. You use that knowledge and if you are lucky to be close to that lake you go fish it and in particular that spot.
People share info to let others less fortunate to have fancy electronics or years of experience like many of you do.
Truthfully, when has it ever hurt you personally to share a spot or two on a multi acre lake? Your spot can only be 50 ft square on that multi acre lake so what's the big problem?!?! I will venture to say you seasoned anglers are hurt emotionally and not personally because you spent time with your fancy electronics, or hot tips you got about a lake and hate to see others get info you had to spend your own time to find.
From this point forward, I swear, I will post spot info on any location I find fish at that I know I cannot fish 24 hours a day 7 days a week. I am not going to be selfish and sit on that spot that will help others catch a few. Do you seriously think sharing info in the forums will drain your supply of fishing spots? Think that a hoard of people will "steal" all your fish? Think that there will be a big "fight" at that spot because of you? You can't fix stupid. People will be who they are no matter what you do or say. In other words, you can't do anything about others that may or may not do something bad at that spot you give out.
Shame on anyone that are bashes people for posting info on any spots they have. Shame on you. Bashing someone for posting their own info on their own spot is immature and unprofessional. I think the people that bash these people are the biggest problem and not the other way around.

kgalla02
08-06-2014, 05:20 AM
This seems to be a recurring thread on pretty much every fishing forum I've seen since joining the internet community ... not that's there's anything wrong with that, ;), people need to vent sometimes and I've posted stuff before only to have "my spot" overrun within days, particularly during ice-fishing season. It's one of those "Why do I fish?" moments and is what it is. You catch fish, you like telling someone about it. You're talking with someone who may not be having as high a success rate as you, you wanna' help 'em out ... just nature of the beast and a matter of personal preference. If it's someone else's thread and they don't want to be too specific on location, I'll try and respect that if I post in there. If it's my thread, I'll generally only give an area, depth, temp, wind, not because I'm fishing for the CIA/Secret Service, but because fish tend to move around, ie there today/gone tomorrow and a fishing reports are just that, "reports" .. not "guarantees of future success" ... take 'em & give 'em with a grain of salt anyway, we all know how fisherman love to "embellish", rotfl ... gps coordinates are a little much though, IMO, nonono

Cmj
08-06-2014, 07:28 AM
This subject is moot in my opinion.
I know most of you watch crappie shows on TV or read magazines about lakes all the time and in those media you see the lake and locations they are fishing. Yet, you don't come in here and complain. You use that knowledge and if you are lucky to be close to that lake you go fish it and in particular that spot.
People share info to let others less fortunate to have fancy electronics or years of experience like many of you do.
Truthfully, when has it ever hurt you personally to share a spot or two on a multi acre lake? Your spot can only be 50 ft square on that multi acre lake so what's the big problem?!?! I will venture to say you seasoned anglers are hurt emotionally and not personally because you spent time with your fancy electronics, or hot tips you got about a lake and hate to see others get info you had to spend your own time to find.
From this point forward, I swear, I will post spot info on any location I find fish at that I know I cannot fish 24 hours a day 7 days a week. I am not going to be selfish and sit on that spot that will help others catch a few. Do you seriously think sharing info in the forums will drain your supply of fishing spots? Think that a hoard of people will "steal" all your fish? Think that there will be a big "fight" at that spot because of you? You can't fix stupid. People will be who they are no matter what you do or say. In other words, you can't do anything about others that may or may not do something bad at that spot you give out.
Shame on anyone that are bashes people for posting info on any spots they have. Shame on you. Bashing someone for posting their own info on their own spot is immature and unprofessional. I think the people that bash these people are the biggest problem and not the other way around.

Let me ask you this: Have you personally ever seen your favorite hot spot be transformed from a quiet, secluded area where you can enjoy the peaceful outdoors, and great fishing, to this:170259170260all because of something you or someone else posted on the net? Its frustrating. And yes, I have seen fights break out in these areas because of people's lack of consideration. Last year, I saw a guy and his young son get flipped out of a small flatbottom on a 40 degree day because some guy in a Bass boat thought it would be okay to pass by them on plane from literally 15 feet away. As you said, "you can't fix stupid," but I dont think it is selfish at all for someone to want to keep this from happening to their favorite spot.

river scum
08-06-2014, 09:04 AM
yup thats what it looks like. lol

SlabSlider
08-06-2014, 09:16 AM
LOLrotfl Sure, that's what it will look like...AFTER I have already fished that spot!:Rofl I fish it and pass it along. I have many spots and some I do not pass along. Common sense there fellas. :yikes

The fish will not stay there all the time. You know that! I know that! So, what's the problem?

I will post there are fish biting under a certain bridge and will sit back and let people catch fish or be stupid. That is their choice. Not mine. Everyone knows you can catch fish under a bridge. There would be people there anyway if I don't post to let someone know that may not know that.

I just help them to get there sooner while those pesky fish are still biting in that one little 50 FOOT SQUARE PIECE OF LAND ON THAT MULTI ACRE LAKE where fish are biting all over that lake...:fish

wicklundrh
08-06-2014, 09:21 AM
Next time you see someone in "YOUR" spot, ask them how they learned of the spot. You might be surprised. Everyone has "their" hotspot. They think they are the only one that knows about it. Trust me, your not!

I've spoken to people about specific lakes (both of us have fished it before) and we both have talked about the exact same structure, the exact same hole, the exact same log....

Some people like to think they have the knowledge that no one else has. The "I'm better than everyone else" attitude.

Post, don't post, share, don't share. There are always going to be people that are different than you, us, whoever. They will lie, cheat and steal. That is the nature of the beast. If everyone was like me/us, no one would be in prison, everyone would have jobs, there would be no welfare system needed... you get my point.

The pictures look like a couple people out fishing!! You need to fish the Detroit river in the spring time. 1000 boats in any direction as far as you can see. My hotspot might have 1000 boats around me! guess what, everyone still catches fish.

Lastly, I would be willing to bet, most of the people that have posted negativly have, at one point in time in their lives, seen someone fishing on the bank of a stream, or in some location in their boat. The next time they are in the area, they checked it out to see why the people were there.... that is called being a hypocrite.

river scum
08-09-2014, 09:30 AM
so basically what your saying is, its ok to tell everyone you see about a lake giving up limits of 12-17"ers. then watch as that 800 acre lake turns into non limits of 10'ers, in 2 years. yeah im sure you would be ok with that on your favorite lake. lol sure thing people. lol those that defend posting info have yet to see that happen, or they would understand. tell me it dont happen and ill call you a liar! as seen in most of the posts, it happens a lot too!

its sad to see and hear of. the reason for my post was to bring it to light and maybe save a great fishing hole or two. if it means some "no talent idiot spot jumper" cant go catch him a freezer full then tough spit. to them i say learn to find and catch your own.

SlabSlider
08-09-2014, 06:22 PM
If a lake is producing limits I will bet you anything, anything, that the fish are not biting EVERYWHERE on that lake. Good luck in finding them on a MULTI ACRE lake when you hear of a spot like a bridge (which always holds crappie) which has fish at it at that given time.
I have never seen nor heard of people fishing out a lake because someone posted "The fish are biting good at this bridge at this given time"!
:Rofl

With that logic NO ONE should post ANYTHING about ANY lake in ANY forum for fear the fish might get all taken.

I am not going to worry about a little spot on a lake causing the fish to disappear or shrink in size due to my posting to help someone else have a good day of fishing at a single spot no more than 50 feet square.
And when I say "good day" fishing, I mean about a day or two is about what they will get before the fish move on to another spot and can't be found there again! :dono

I am sorry but I just cannot believe that posting in any forum causes fish to deplete any more than they would from normal day to day fishing. Your local wildlife department that monitor lakes and can give you reasons for fish size reduction or depletion. I would venture to bet also that they will not say the fish are reduced in size "from fishermen reading forums and fishing the lake out". They have no proof and neither does anyone else. If there was proof then it should be voted illegal in some states.

I personally feel it's a pride thing.

river scum
08-09-2014, 07:10 PM
i have seen it happen. if you dont believe its possible thats fine, it will happen to you sooner or later. and this isnt about any "spot on a lake" its about the entire lake.

one fast story for ya. these two guys always catch huge crappie and plenty of them. they are well known around the area and a few internet forums. one time a picture got posted on an ice fishing forum, with a cottage in the background. that was posted on a friday morning. monday morning they went back to the spot and what did they see? they counted 70 lurkers and friends all over the ice in that spot. well, those people didnt stop and even more came. even in summer they were flocked there, untill the fish ran out. it took 2 years but that lake was decimated and still is to this day. where you could count on a fish over 16, now you are lucky to catch a 13! so much for a great crappie lake. maybe someday it will come back but till then the damage is done. thats a true story that a lot of NE indiana fishermen know.

so post away , post away. for the rest, heed my warning. no need to stop posting, just stop posting where at.

so yes, slaslider-- "With that logic NO ONE should post ANYTHING about ANY lake in ANY forum for fear the fish might get all taken".

river scum
08-09-2014, 07:16 PM
double posting deleted

SlabSlider
08-09-2014, 09:23 PM
Didn't think bashing was allowed in the forums...hmmm...

Well if I am correct in my saying, why are you reading the forums and in particular other people's posts on their fishing trips? You certainly don't need the info...or do you secretly get the info when it is posted like everyone else?

Look, don't get offended just because someone disagrees with you. It is a forum and all about getting info on fishing. Share and have fun and try not to bash.

CrappiePro
08-10-2014, 05:00 AM
I give allot of Info, Don't get near as much as I give out...but that's ok cos my lakes are big, my spots are many and my rivers run deep. I am GOING TO GET MINE!!!

NIMROD
08-10-2014, 05:34 AM
We got some loud mouths guys that go to alot of lakes where folks share info then see it on the board after they catch fish there.:Rofl

cache22
08-10-2014, 06:11 AM
Advice to lurkers........ surf these sites for information on where to catch a mess of "red herrings" rotfl

river scum
08-10-2014, 07:56 AM
If a lake is producing limits I will bet you anything, anything, that the fish are not biting EVERYWHERE on that lake. Good luck in finding them on a MULTI ACRE lake when you hear of a spot like a bridge (which always holds crappie) which has fish at it at that given time.
I have never seen nor heard of people fishing out a lake because someone posted "The fish are biting good at this bridge at this given time"!

With that logic NO ONE should post ANYTHING about ANY lake in ANY forum for fear the fish might get all taken.

I am not going to worry about a little spot on a lake causing the fish to disappear or shrink in size due to my posting to help someone else have a good day of fishing at a single spot no more than 50 feet square.
And when I say "good day" fishing, I mean about a day or two is about what they will get before the fish move on to another spot and can't be found there again! :dono

I am sorry but I just cannot believe that posting in any forum causes fish to deplete any more than they would from normal day to day fishing. Your local wildlife department that monitor lakes and can give you reasons for fish size reduction or depletion. I would venture to bet also that they will not say the fish are reduced in size "from fishermen reading forums and fishing the lake out". They have no proof and neither does anyone else. If there was proof then it should be voted illegal in some states.

I personally feel it's a pride thing.

no no no im wasnt bashing you bud, unless your a spot jumper. lol i meant no offense to you personally, and im sorry if it came across like that. i felt like you said it was a load of crap, that people dont do what i said. i was just giving a real life example. weather people believe its possible or not, i cant control that. all i can do is warn them.

weather or not its because of people taking your fish, or ruining a great eco system, really dont matter. its still ruined and still a shame.

river scum
08-10-2014, 08:01 AM
i realize this is a hard concept for those that live on huge reservoirs, like KY lake, to grasp. on smaller lakes of a few hundred acres it will happen and happen with adverse effects. for you and the lake.

kickingback
08-12-2014, 04:48 AM
Here is something interesting...Louisiana Fisheries - Fact Sheets (http://www.seagrantfish.lsu.edu/resources/factsheets/sackofmilk.htm)
...talks about crappie populations and how some years they are in short supply. It says nothing about potlickers or giving up fishing spots as the reason for fish population changes.

BigRiverMarine
08-15-2014, 09:15 AM

True dat.

Cmj
08-15-2014, 11:40 AM

True dat.

Looks like Atkins last Winter!!

NIMROD
08-15-2014, 02:20 PM
Looks like Atkins last Winter!!
Piney winter before last too! :twocents Where will the next invasion be at ?:yikes

CrappiePro
08-17-2014, 02:50 AM
Lake Nimrod AR:biggrin

river scum
08-17-2014, 07:10 AM
Here is something interesting...Louisiana Fisheries - Fact Sheets (http://www.seagrantfish.lsu.edu/resources/factsheets/sackofmilk.htm)
...talks about crappie populations and how some years they are in short supply. It says nothing about potlickers or giving up fishing spots as the reason for fish population changes.

yes sir, crappie cycles are well known. this was not the case for the waters i spoke of though.

lol bigrivermarine, that pic looks like the maumee walleye run.