Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: posts ruining your fishin

Post Thanks / Like

Default posts ruining your fishin

had a topic come up in our state board i thought some of you mite benefit from. link to it- http://www.crappie.com/crappie/indiana/286861-cataract/

its talking about the results of posting too much info on fishing sites. you mite want to consider some of the points brought up before sharing your honey holes. lurkers, low integrity, no talent spot jumpers are everywhere, just waiting to wipe out your spot. laugh if you must but it happens all the time!

whats your thoughts and or first hand experience? im sure this isnt just an Indiana thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Sharing is a great tradition of advanced fishermen. They share locations all the time and usually in person or through a private message. It is a shame that these forums are being "watched" by non site registered people who want an easy catch. They troll for posts with specific locations. They cannot or will not do their own homework to find the crappie and want the easiest fish landing scenarios they can find.
    It seems that most times posts are unintentionally giving enough information to put these lurkers on your spots if you are not careful. Giving the lake name or posting in the "state forums" is given as it helps others know which part of the state is biting. But when you put in the post "I was at this tree at this end of the lake" that is usually enough info to put people on your spot.
    Just water color and temp, weather, jig color and depth fishing is all the info you need to give out. If I post and someone pm's me for more info I usually share with them because they usually share back. This is the best way I know of to not give out and dry up your favorite spot.
    I have seen first hand what happens when someone gives a specific location. I remember this bridge that was producing limits last fall and when the word got out people were pissed because the boats were piled up at the bridge and people couldn't even drive their boats through at times. You could literally walk from boat to boat as they tied off under that bridge. Well in less than 1 month that bridge and that bayou have been fished out it seems. It is hard to find crappie there now. I know they will return but the damage was done.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Likes mac LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I like to share. I will post pics when I catch a mess. I will even tell what lake I was on. Probably even give some general info about color and depth.......If you want more info than that, PM me and I will probably tell you what tree I was tied to.
    Likes Redy2Fish, mac LIKED above post

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

It happens everywhere. They are called internet scouts or just trolls. Waterfowl hunters are probably the worst.

I get some PMs from folks that are genuinely mad that I won't give SPECIFICS since they are coming to KY Lake and don't want to put in any time looking for their own spots or $$ to hire a guide.

Most of us here are sensible enough to know not to ask for, or give out, gps coordinates or specific info but some are not.

General info should suffice for anybody but if it doesn't, too bad. If I have gotten good info from somebody on PM, I am more than glad to share similar info with them ON PM. Putting specifics on a forum is cutting your nose off to spite your face.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes CrappieFlopper, chaunc, That'sABingo LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Like I posted on that IN thread:

There are plenty of examples of the good stuff this site brings to one another too you know. It's just another media. And heck, 99 percent of us don't live anywhere near around anyone's particular lake. Focus more on sharing crappie fishing tips and techniques. We're all fishermen, we share the same passion, enjoy the camaraderie brought about by the site. Don't mention the specific spots and it'll all be good.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Iwannafish View Post
    I like to share. I will post pics when I catch a mess. I will even tell what lake I was on. Probably even give some general info about color and depth.......If you want more info than that, PM me and I will probably tell you what tree I was tied to.

Dang wannafish , I sure wish I lived closer to you !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post
    we share the same passion, enjoy the camaraderie brought about by the site. Don't mention the specific spots and it'll all be good.
    Not many post fishing reports on this site anymore! I've posted a couple "general" reports and never mentioned the name of the lake.

No big deal! I have a neat waterproof camera, and I love to take pix (I have thousands and thousands over the past few years). I go fishing almost every day and all year long ....... it's my passion! Three local lakes, all the nearby trout streams, and all over the Susquehanna. In the winter, I love looking at all the fishing trips I have had!

I don't agree that "trollers" will see a report and then go there to wipe out all the fish! LOL They are probably too stupid to catch a lot anyway? A fishing report (with lots of pix) is a beautiful thing. Most folks love to see fishing forums with lots of fish pix?

I, for one, would love to see more fishing reports with pix of the fish, and the lures used to catch them. This wouldn't make me want to drive south and look for that exact spot and try to catch the very same fish? And I've heard that a lot of those "southern boys" carry guns in their boat? I wouldn't want to get shot over a crappie?
    Likes wahanlin, kyjohn, Redy2Fish LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

When you keep seeing honey holes that you've fished for years, posted on the internest with cove names, depth, etc., it gets irritating.

Post Thanks / Like

My two most local reservoirs are 39,000 and 36,000 acres. Plenty of room to give general locations. I don't give out specific gps coordinates but if they can figure out where I am fishing from a closely cropped picture, IMO they already know the area well enough to not need my help.

Post Thanks / Like

Just my two cents worth. On the Va board we give "general info" Want more then a pm will get you what you need. I joined this board as the Va folks were very helpful,friendly down to earth want to help you out bunch. When I was a bass fisherman you got no help whats so ever. I have had the pleasure of being taught by some of the most wonderful guys on here. Things I never knew about. I don't care about your "Honey Hole" I'll find my own, just teach me how is all I ask. I am not a big poster but I say things when its worthy. I don't catch a lot of fish as I am still in training. But I can tell you this I read a lot and practice a lot and I mean a lot. This IS THE BEST SITE HANDS DOWN because of all the info.
    dave
    in currituck

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast