Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Flustrated! Whered they go?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Flustrated! Whered they go?

The creek/ lake I was fishing in the spring was covered up. But they transitioned and left me behind. Creek is about 14' at deepest point - and water lever rises and falls when the they open/close the dam at Millers Ferry. This is alabama river. I really think they have moved to the main river but I can only find singles around brush piles in 30' depth fishing about 10' down. Any suggestions? Are they still in the creek and just scattered? Have they grouped into schools yet? Water flows about half the day now. Would it be best to fish current or wait for no flow? What about eddy areas when there is flow? VERY FLUSTRATED! Help!

Post Thanks / Like

From my experience, they seem to try and stay out of current as much as they can. Not knowing the area I can only take guesses on the amount of sunlight per day, rain run off, water clarity and so on.

I would try and concentrate in the main river but close to where a creek/river/ spring flows into it. Fish might be hiding and waiting for a meal to come out of those creeks. Weed beds would also be a good bet. Try the edges first and work your way inside the weeds.

I am not seeing big numbers of fish in one particular area (in a school) but they hang out in the same structure. You might catch 2 fish per brush pile, you might catch 10. Same with the edge of a weed bed. Two in one spot, one in another.

Move, move, move, don't wait for the fish to come to you. You learn more this way. Lastly... keep a log book. You can look back year after year and be surprised that the fish react the same based on moon, weather, temp and so on.

You'll find em.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes river scum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

some good advice there......
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I would work the down timber on slack side where there is shade as well. just my two cents.

Post Thanks / Like

Shade is good. I do like fishing on the shaded side of the river when I fish back home.
    FISH ON

Post Thanks / Like

I will revisit brush piles and grass mats where I caught one or 2 30 minutes later and usually pick up one or two more. Like mentioned before move once it slows. Don't waste time on an unproductive pile. My best trips cover alot of ground and catch one here and one there. I start shallow and go deeper till I establish a pattern. But you are right they can change the pattern in a second. What worked yesterday won't work tomorrow. That's why I like crappie fishing. Its a challenge more days than not.

Post Thanks / Like

have you tried at night with lights?

Post Thanks / Like

Have not tried lights. The lake is 22,000 acres that flows like a river - then they close the dam - water flow slows then stops then backs up a little, and the lake rises a foot or so - then they open the dam and start all over. All the fish I've caught have been during flow but not many

Post Thanks / Like

Slabmaster, I feel your pain. I fish the Jones bluff side of the river. I'm having same situations. Last year we had plenty of rain and water flow. Had the best summer ever. Fish were everywhere, brush piles, under docks, mouth of creeks. Nothing much this year.