Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: opinions needed on what to do with my recently found boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default opinions needed on what to do with my recently found boat

Hey everyone,

Had a post on here I think last July4th- 2013 that my boat had been stolen in Memphis, TN.

True story- Mem city police dept called me last week to tell me they had recovered my boat.
    Long story short- drove the 700 miles from Durham to pick her up even though they told me she was in rough condition. Well, my boat was in much worse shape than I could have ever imagined. It has been completely stripped! Everything that could be removed was- so I am left with a 900# hull, 50HP Yamaha that I think is actually fine, and the bear trailer she was bot on.

Looks like the cost of restoration will be more than what it would be worth if completed based on hours of labor at like $90/hour to pay somebody to do the work.

My question is- are there boat restoration players out there that would rebuild this thing if I sold it to them directly, or should I just get what I can from aluminum salvage company, sell the motor & trailer and go get another boat. I am thinkin that's best idea, but would like to just be done with the whole thing all at one time and go find something else to fish with.

Any input greatly appreciated..... oh btw, the boat is a 2003 G3 crappie PF175- or was I guess I should say.

Post Thanks / Like

Sell for scrape and mark it up as a, well what ever term you will. I know how you feel I was hit June 23 2012, I had changed insureance co. 2 days before. Happy were they.
    boots

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    Sell for scrape and mark it up as a, well what ever term you will. I know how you feel I was hit June 23 2012, I had changed insureance co. 2 days before. Happy were they.
    yep I bet they were real happy.
    FISH ON

Post Thanks / Like

As long as the hull is sound and the motor runs, it would probably be worth selling as fixer upper or DIY and get the boat set up exactly as you want. It is a lot of work to completely redo, but sounds like someone did the hard part.. gutting for you. You are right about the cost of paying to get it fixed. However, there are a lot of handy man types that would drool to get ahold of a project like this.

Post Thanks / Like

If it were mine,I wouldnt sell it for scrap.You can take a gutted boat and repair it back to exactly the way YOU want it for YOUR style of fishing.But the cost of $90.00 would hurt that bad. 90 seems wat high to me.Post some pictures of it. A lot of catfishisherman are restoring older starcraft v hulls and setting up the inside like they want.I feel that some would love to have your boat to "fix" up.You should be able to get more money out of it if you sell it as a fixer upper than going to the scrapyard.
    HEY,,WATCH THAT YELLOW ROD

Post Thanks / Like

Do it your self or sell on Craigslist. I bought an old basstracker a few years ago off craigslist to gut and turned it into a duck/crappie boat. Enjoyed doing it my self. Have done several boats over the years and I'm getting better each time.

I bet if you don't want it someone around you is looking for something like that for a project.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend looking to redo a boat to his likings for duck and crappie. Could you pm your info so I can get you guys in touch?
    Last edited by youngin; 07-16-2014 at 03:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's see a pic of the boat its all about perspective. Aluminum boats are fun and easy to play with.