Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I about to replace my fuel line on

Iuka-Pickwick Lake-Tishomingo County Mississippi
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I about to replace my fuel line on

My 90hp merc 2 stroke, thinking about adding a online filter, is this a good idea ? Would like to put it close to the has tank so that it would be concealed, what's y'all's thoughts on this ?
    Maachuu

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a good idea Larry. Several different options. I would just get the one from Walmart. Comes with mounting bracket and spin on filter. It is not a see through just plain black filter. Lots of guys will tell you that need to get the more expensive see through so you know if you have water. You don't know if you have water now so I don't see that as a big deal. To me the big deal is to replace your filter a couple of times a year. Remove filter and pour fuel into clear jar. That will tell you if you have excess water. Then it would be time to clean tank. You would or should have several options for mounting the bracket. Just check real good for leaks at all the fittings.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I will share a lesson I learned last year that cost me a 6 pack to the mechanic because I did not believe him. I got my hose assembly from them because when I priced Walmart and K Mart their off brand was as much or more than the Mercury brand that he sold.
    Well, when I put it on the boat I could not get the bulb to pump up tight. I tried everything I could think of. I tried it with the hose connected to the motor, off the motor, held it down behind the transom, used a pick to hold open the valve.....still would not pump up so I called the shop and he told me to get in the boat and hold the hose straight up head high so the bulb and line was vertical. I said you kidding right?? I will bet you a 6 pack that won't work.
    Well, it did and the reason he explained to me was the bulb has a check valve to keep pressure on the line and not just let gas flow back into the tank so when I held it vertical the gas pumped up through the valve and it seated kind of like priming a pump is any of you are old enough or country enough to have done that.(I am and I have)
    So maybe I can save you or someone else a 6 pack.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You don't have to hold it head high but you so need to hold it vertical with arrow pointing up. I've installed a lot of them for people over the years.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What SeaRay and Bill said. Bought a new mercury bulb and installed it on my Yammy last year. Could not get it to prime. Remembered Searay's post. Turned it up and wa la it worked.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all, I got the line from boat shop and went ahead bit the bullet and got mercury bulb because the thought of being stranded out in the lake made me feel it wasn't that bad of a price after all

Post Thanks / Like

I like my in-line filter as close to carb as possible. I have had fuel lines break down a couple times and believe me, getting those bits of rubber out of the fuel system is a nightmare.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeKdog View Post
    I like my in-line filter as close to carb as possible. I have had fuel lines break down a couple times and believe me, getting those bits of rubber out of the fuel system is a nightmare.
    Most outboards already have a fuel filter close the the carb or the fuel injection. The spin on water filter assembly needs to be mounted close to the fuel tank.....you want to catch all the water you can as close to the tank as possible. Larry I change my spin on water filter once a year. Like Cray said.....I bought mine at WalMart its a lot cheaper there. It has everything you need in a kit except....you will need to go to auto parts store and buy two brass hose barbs that fit the filter base and your fuel lines. Very simple install. I can text you a picture if you need one.
    Last edited by "G"; 07-11-2014 at 02:47 PM.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "G" View Post
    Most outboards already have a fuel filter close the the carb or the fuel injection. The spin on water filter assembly needs to be mounted close to the fuel tank.....you want to catch all the water you can as close to the tank as possible. Larry I change my spin on water filter once a year. Like Cray said.....I bought mine at WalMart its a lot cheaper there. It has everything you need in a kit except....you will need to go to auto parts store and buy two brass hose barbs that fit the filter base and your fuel lines. Very simple install. I can text you a picture if you need one.
    G I just asked this in another post but since I have installed one, can u send me a picture of which of the In and out you used ? Send to [email protected]

Thanks

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure....I will try to remember to do that tomorrow......you may have to remind me lol
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast