Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's Eating My Boat?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's Eating My Boat?

I'm guessing this is Galvanic Corrosion. But why all the sudden is it so aggressive. There is a sacrificial anode on the motor. The only thing I've done recently is add a 24 volt Terrova trolling motor. I don't remember seeing this much corrosion before at all. This is after one trip on the water and I was only out for 2 hours.

Name:  A1.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  13.5 KBName:  A3.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  19.5 KB

Name:  A4.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  40.1 KB
    It's eating the Terrova too

Name:  A2.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  34.3 KB
    This is another thing I added now that I think about it, a Jack Plate. This corrosion is all over the boat under the water line; on the motor skeg, on the sacrificial anode, on the hull, on the terrova. It's everywhere!

Could it be stray current corrosion. I noticed that my hull is connected to the ground of the battery. I see online that some are, some are not. I don't want to put it into the water till I figure this out. Do I have to hang Zinc Anodes all over the boat? And while I'm on the subject, are magnesium anodes better? I thought magnesium blew up when it touched water! lol
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Battery grounds.....all other grounds should go to the Neg. battery post. Battery ground should be made to the engine block not the hull....The engine is isolated from the hull by rubber bushings inside the steering pivot point. Grounding to the hull will eventually destroy the boat. I got this info from my boat mechanic and verified it with the folks at Minn Kota. Minn Kota even said that my onboard charger should not be mounted directly to the boat....to mount it on starboard or plywood to isolate it from the boat. I don't think what you have is galvanic corrosion....I think it is being caused by electrolosis from the ground you have to your hull.
    Last edited by "G"; 07-07-2014 at 09:41 AM.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes Billbob, shipahoy41 LIKED above post

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Possible that.., the zinc became insulated with dirt and no longer touches the motor. 2nd guess is acidic water is finding all the weak spots in the natural oxidation of alum which serves as a permanent protective coating on a micro level.
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with G. Some people use the hull to ground accessories such as lights. The lamps work, but this type connection causes undesirable loop currents via the hull.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes Billbob LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Well a few years ago you may remember when I couldn't get my boat out due to water dropping and I waited as long as I could before trying to take it out. However when I went to get my trailer the boards were rotten as all get out and I didn't have time to fix/change them out. I learned that they put just boards on trainers now and not treated boards because the stuff/chemicals they use now will eat your aluminum boats up via chemical reaction when wet! So I needed up buying UV Plastic boards for my trailer! I didn't want to need to Change them out every 3 years which is how old y trailer was when the boards rotted apart!

not positive it's what is wrong with yours, but sure would check it out for that!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

One other thing is I always was told if you have you big motor in the water when charging, that will set up electrolysis?

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think my boat is used for the negative for accessories (everything I see has two wires going to it). I think the hull is grounded due to the motor being grounded and attached to the boat. It does not have an insulator between the motor and the boat, at least none that I see.
    Owner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu View Post
    Well a few years ago you may remember when I couldn't get my boat out due to water dropping and I waited as long as I could before trying to take it out. However when I went to get my trailer the boards were rotten as all get out and I didn't have time to fix/change them out. I learned that they put just boards on trainers now and not treated boards because the stuff/chemicals they use now will eat your aluminum boats up via chemical reaction when wet! So I needed up buying UV Plastic boards for my trailer! I didn't want to need to Change them out every 3 years which is how old y trailer was when the boards rotted apart!

not positive it's what is wrong with yours, but sure would check it out for that!
    Wouldn't that just eat the boat where the chemicals from the boards were touching the boat?

In any case, my boat has rubber rollers. No boards here. Thanks for the suggestion Skip.
    Owner

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The isolator is inside the steering pivot Ed. All grounds should end up on starting battery neg post......neg post of starting battery should go to the engine block. Even though outboard is bolted directly to boat kit is rally not connected due to isolator bushings in the turning pivot......you cannot see them but they are there.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes Billbob LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "G" View Post
    The isolator is inside the steering pivot Ed. All grounds should end up on starting battery neg post......neg post of starting battery should go to the engine block. Even though outboard is bolted directly to boat kit is rally not connected due to isolator bushings in the turning pivot......you cannot see them but they are there.
    Just did a continuity test. The engine is connected to the hull/transom. It's a tiller steer, so no other connections from motor to boat except the battery and the motor mounting hardware. But that does not mean that buried in there is not a ground wire connected directly from the battery to the boat hull. I'll have to follow wires and look for that. An easy test might be to just completely disconnect the battery and see if the motor is still electrically connected to the hull. I'll go do that.

Disconnected all wires from battery, and the motor and hull are still electrically connected via a continuity test. At least with an evinrude tiller steer 40hp it's not insulated via that steering pivot "G".
    Last edited by Slab; 07-07-2014 at 11:24 AM. Reason: updated with test result
    Owner

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast