Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Too much structure

Post Thanks / Like

Default Too much structure

I fish ky lake , and have watched other fisherman sink load after load of structure in the bays I fish over the years. I have gps a lot of it by using side scan... It seems the last few years I have to fish more and more piles to catch fish.. I am wondering if there is such a thing as having too much structure ...it seems that the fish have so many choices of where to stop it like finding a needle in a haystack... a pile that may hold fish one trip be barren of fish the next

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good. Ustea be a lot more that it is now. Most of Gods stuff is now gone.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes filletfetish LIKED above post

Billbob is online now Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

stay out of canepoles bay
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff
    Likes genec LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe that you could ever achieve this on bigger bodies of water. The better spots will still hold better fish, and you may have to fish a little faster, rather than just sit on one brush pile. Certain cover houses fish almost every day and some are only good during seasonal changes. Having a multitude of options for little fish to grow big is only going to make things better going forward.
    Likes genec LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've thought that before on Truman lake where there is a lot of tree's sticking up out of the water. It get's kind of overwhelming when they're not concentrated under some brush.
    New goal 16" crappie by December 30

Post Thanks / Like

I bet if the bays I fish were drained you wouldn't be able to walk over a few feet with out running into a brush pile or wood pallets with vertical wood attached... It just seems to me the fish have so much cover and i have to move so much to find the cover that hold a fish..

Post Thanks / Like

Idea: find some of the better piles and go co-op on them. Enhance them and try to differentiate what improvements yield the greatest return, i.e, addition of cottonseed cake, grasses, or other various new adornments. Or, do what they do on Conroe : go guerilla at night. Use a grappling hook. Snag a few and drag them together to create your own Mega-brushpile. Guides on Conroe have been secretly pulling each others piles around the featureless bottom of that lake since shortly after the introduction of the triploid grass carp and their subsequent consumption/distruction of the hydrilla there in the early 80's. Hey...I just got an idea for a new reality show...
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 07-07-2014 at 11:32 PM.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tonykarter View Post
    Idea: find some of the better piles and go co-op on them. Enhance them and try to differentiate what improvements yield the greatest return, i.e, addition of cottonseed cake, grasses, or other various new adornments. Or, do what they do on Conroe : go guerilla at night. Use a grappling hook. Snag a few and drag them together to create your own Mega-brushpile. Guides on Conroe have been secretly pulling each others piles around the featureless bottom of that lake since shortly after the introduction of the triploid grass carp and their subsequent consumption/distruction of the hydrilla there in the early 80's. Hey...I just got an idea for a new reality show...
    You might start a small war too!
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I guess I should clarify: On the grappling hook thing I was referring to those that may be un-used. If there is that much man-made structure there surely some of it is dated and forgotten. Do your due diligence and vet that which is excess and under-utilized. Man, would that make a great brushpile!

Post Thanks / Like

I kinda believe that there is such a thing as too much cover in one area. I've put a lot of diffferent covers in my area that now it's hard to catch any crappie, whereas years ago I could flat kill them there??? I'm thinking about pulling some cover and leave the stake beds?? Bluegill are a different story, got ton's of them on meal worms. What to do is the question.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast