Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Boat Trailor Bearings

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat Trailor Bearings

Last January my brakes went out (fell off) on my boat trailer.....the place where I get all my trailer maintenance said it would cost $700 to fix it or he could remove the brakes and replace both hub assemblies for $300.....he said my brakes have not worked in a long time and he does not think I need them for the boat size and my truck size.....he said he has been using this new type hub for 5 years and has only seen one go bad.....seemed like a no brainer to me.....I stopped by there today to verify my maintenance required.....he said they are good for 5 years but it may be good to check them in 2 to 3 years.....the good news is, you do not have to do anything to them.....no grease to add periodically.....he showed me a cross section of the assembly and all the extra seals in it.....the grease is a solid that liquefies when it gets hot and goes back to solid when it cools off....the grease builds up an internal pressure (3 to 6 psi I believe) when it heats up and a cap on the end of the hub pops out and goes back when the grease cools off.....all you have to do is check every now and then for any leaks....7 months for me now and no leaks.....anyhow, I love the "no maintenance" required by me thingy....so if anyone is going to replace their bearings you may want to consider these....here is a link to the bearings info......if you want to know the dealer I use in Baton Rouge please send me a PM......

http://www.ufpnet.com/Portals/0/PDFs...aintenance.pdf
    The "King" is coming
    This could be the Day....
    RETIRED LOUISIANA CRAPPIE HUNTER
    Likes BR Bandit LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have Vortex hubs they claim 6 year 100,000 miles no touch hubs
    *The Bandit*

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BR Bandit View Post
    I have Vortex hubs they claim 6 year 100,000 miles no touch hubs
    those sound good also......
    The "King" is coming

Post Thanks / Like

I have the oil bath bearings and love them. All I do is change the oil once a year. I up graded the caps to aluminum caps this year. 3 years and no problems.

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the vortex also (I think) and mine went out 1 week before my warranty last year. The entire axle was replaced. I think I still have to do yearly maintenance. I better check.
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by saute86 View Post
    I have the oil bath bearings and love them. All I do is change the oil once a year. I up graded the caps to aluminum caps this year. 3 years and no problems.
    I had the oil bath before I switched and liked them.....only had one leak (and new seal) in 7 years......I like the "no maintenance" with those also......the only negative I have heard with the oil bath is they could go really bad quick before you realize you have a problem and leave you stranded....but with the grease kind you would have some advance warning....
    The "King" is coming