Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First post

Post Thanks / Like

Default First post

Ive been looking over the site and have really enjoyed all the information posted on this site. Im not new to crappie fishing, im just not any good at it lol.... I can catch them in the spring when they are in the shallows but after that I give up. Im wanting to change that. I live just off the Ross Barnett Res. which is just east of Jackson MS. I fish the Pelahatchie Bay area mostly. Ive been saving 5gal. buckets and PVC pipe, and will be stocking up on christmas trees, pallets etc. to make some fish attractors. Ive searched the internet and have some great ideas on making the attractors but my problem is I really dont know where to place them. Im thinking of placing some in a large 5ft. flat where there is no structure. What do you think? I have read where fisherman sink bags of dog food on their attractors to hold bait fish. Im still in the process of reading the past post on this matter. Any tips, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ronnie

Post Thanks / Like

Pull up a seat and join in. You won't believe how much info is here. Even though the tricks/tips/techniques are from other areas - they seem to work everywhere.
    Happy Holidays and welcome

Post Thanks / Like

If you can catchem in the spring you can catchem in the winter - just got to findem and get the bait to them
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by RLR
    Ive been looking over the site and have really enjoyed all the information posted on this site. Im not new to crappie fishing, im just not any good at it lol.... I can catch them in the spring when they are in the shallows but after that I give up. Im wanting to change that. I live just off the Ross Barnett Res. which is just east of Jackson MS. I fish the Pelahatchie Bay area mostly. Ive been saving 5gal. buckets and PVC pipe, and will be stocking up on christmas trees, pallets etc. to make some fish attractors. Ive searched the internet and have some great ideas on making the attractors but my problem is I really dont know where to place them. Im thinking of placing some in a large 5ft. flat where there is no structure. What do you think? I have read where fisherman sink bags of dog food on their attractors to hold bait fish. Im still in the process of reading the past post on this matter. Any tips, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ronnie
    It's great to see a person on this board from Mary Ann Mobley's hometown. On the other hand, you might not be old enough to remember Mary Ann. She was Miss America 1960. I was raised in Jackson,graduated from Provine High in 1957 and then went to Miss College in Clinton until 1960. Joined the Navy in 1960 and the rest is history. I moved to VA after I got out of the Navy and have been here ever since. Still own a farm in Crystal Springs and we have a Duck Camp in Rosedale that we visit often.

Great to have you aboard and look forward to your posts.

Take care and look up Larry & Connie Watters. They live in Brandon. Tell them I said hello...............Don Gridley
    Last edited by Don G; 12-23-2004 at 09:28 AM.
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome

I think you will learn a lot from this board. I am new to crappie fishing myself and over the past 2 months I have learned so very much. Crappie.com has the BEST group of crappie fishing folks in the world. They are all willing to listen and give good solid advise you can use.

Duane
    Rolla, MO
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default welcome RLR

you'll find many "crappie condo" builders among our membership ... and they not only know how to build 'em ... they know where to sink 'em !! Give them some time to find and read your post - then make sure you got a fresh ink cartridge in your printer ...LOL!! ..........luck2ya ..........cp

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ronnie:

Welcome aboard the board.

If you are fishing a deep reservoir – plenty of water over 25-feet deep – you’ll want some cover in deeper water. We sink brush from shallow water to over 40-feet of water so we can catch crappie year around and at different lake levels.

Points that extend into deep water, especially old creek channels, inside bends in creek channels and the ledge or drop at the edge of a flat where it drops into the creek channel are good places to put brush. Most anything will work for cover but from my experience they prefer wood over metal or plastic. We’re making some with bamboo in 5-gallon buckets and so far they have been very productive. Christmas trees are OK but they can matt down if they still have the needles on them and it takes several good sized ones to make a decent condo. If you put weight at the bottom and a float of some kind at the top so they stand up they will work better.

If you haven’t already discovered it, you can “pick someone’s brain” on this board by clicking on their name and then clicking on “Find all posts by …..”.

You’ll have to wade through a lot of stuff you’re not interested in. At one time or another I’ve explained pretty much all aspects of how we make brushpiles and fish for crappie year around in my guide service.

Of course there are many different systems and tactics used by members here so you are sure to find a system that will work for you on the lakes you fish.

If you have any specific questions please don’t hesitate to ask – you’ll get plenty of opinions – and you know what opinions are like……… everybody has one!
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the welcome!

I would say 25 feet would be the deepest part of the bay and this would be a old lake or a channel. Jerry I had been wondering if cane would work good. How long does it last submerged? Im going to make some cane mats and I have another thought about using cane since I have a endless supply at my camp. I could make my own underwater stake bed, maby take 100 canes around 7 feet long and push them two feet or so into the mud. How close would you put the canes?

Don, im not that old lol....

Thanks for the input--keep it comming, Ronnie

Post Thanks / Like

Before this big snow storm struck I went out and got some PVC pipes. 4ft section of 2" pvc pipe and two ten foot sections of 1.5" pvc pipe. I got the male and female adaptors that you can glue onto the ends of the pipe. Then the other ends of the pipe allow you to screw two pieces together. That way you can add a section of pipe to this device at one time. I used an 2" pipe to 1/5" male screw for the 2" pipe. That way I can screw the female ends of the 1.5" pipe into the 2" pipe when I am ready to drive steaks into the muddy bottom of a lake.

Right now the 2" pipe is about 4ft long and I am going to wait until I find some wood that I can use for steaks and see how long they are. I was thinking about using some surveyor steaks as they are pretty cheap and abot 4ft long. If I drive them down into the mud about a ft they would still stick out fo the bottom by about 3 ft. I can make an array of them in a good spot.

One of the webs sites that I found by browing crappie.com had a picture on how they did this steak driving system made out of PVC pipe.

You may want to try using a 2.5" diameter pipe instead of the 2" pipe. It all depends on what you are trying to drive into the bottom of the lake

I should be able to drive steaks into the muddy bottom in 20ft of water or even in 25 ft of water if can put enough pieces together. I cut the two 10ft piece into 5ft sections and glued a male and a female screw adaptor to each end. I need to get some more female adaptors to screw onto the threads to protect them during transport. Don't want those threads getting all messed up.

As for were to put the attractors. Deep sloping points that go from shallow water all the way to the deepest water in the area. If you can find a bay that is close to deeper water say like a bay where the river channel in the reseviour comes close to the points at the mouth of the bay you could look for a ditch or creek bed that flows out of the bay into that river channel. Try putting fish attractors all the way from where the ditch dumps into the old river channel and then back along that same ditch all the way back into the shallow waters of the bay. If the water is crystal clear then put them deeper (30ft to 40ft)but if your waters are muddy then you could put brush piles in only 3 ft of water. In stained water I found that the crappie are from 25 to 10ft deep during bright sunny days.

Another good spot is a bend in the river channel that comes close to a feeding shelf that comes out from the bank.

A big flat area that is close to a deep water drop off into a creek channel is a good spot to put some sunken wood on.

Best spots are where there is a transition of some kind. Either there is a drop off or it could be the edge of a weedline in summer. Or where the bottom type changes from hard to soft. The type of bottom material could effect the type of micro organisms that live on the bottom of the lake. Since crappie and panfish are know to feed on different types of aquatic insects and organisms like worms they will be at these transition areas to take advantage of the different bugs that live in this zone. Midges lay eggs that hatch in to red worms that live in the muck. Crappie have been know to eat these small red blood worms. Also they may feed on the nymps of aquatic insects like the mayfly nymphs and or damsel fly nymphs etc. The edges of a weed line where the contours make a sharp turn (inside and outside bends in the weedlines) can hold fish. And the end of the weedline is usually caused by a drop in depth. Weeds can only grow where they can get enough sunlight so they are limited in how deep their roots can be planted. In my scuba diving experiences and my life time of fishing experiences I have found many fish love to hang around the edge of a weedline near the drop off. Many times they may be right at the base of the weeds in the open right above the bottom along the drop off. I have seen big bass patrolling the drop offs like submarines on patrol in the North Atlantic. Pan fish will be out over the open water at times. In areas called CONFINED OPEN WATER. But that is usually close to a drop off or a river channel

If you can find an old gravel road that leads into the water and goes from shallow water into the deeper water then that too would be a good place to put some brush piles. Fish will follow those road beds and use the shallow area to spawn. Old roadways usually have a ditch along each side that gives a small drop off. Sometimes brush will grow in those ditches or right along the top edge of the ditch and that can be a gold mine for crappie and bass.

Some of the lake that I fish have so many good spots to put brush piles that it's hard to just pin point one area.

Quote Originally Posted by RLR
    Thanks for the welcome!

I would say 25 feet would be the deepest part of the bay and this would be a old lake or a channel. Jerry I had been wondering if cane would work good. How long does it last submerged? Im going to make some cane mats and I have another thought about using cane since I have a endless supply at my camp. I could make my own underwater stake bed, maby take 100 canes around 7 feet long and push them two feet or so into the mud. How close would you put the canes?

Don, im not that old lol....

Thanks for the input--keep it comming, Ronnie
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Moose thanks for the info. im going to make me some sort of ram rod to do just that. I have a area that I can catch spawning crappie that is surrounded by five feet of water, im going to place some bamboo beds around that area and see if they will hold pre and post spawn crappie. I know of one deep hole in the bay that nobody fishes because its so small, most people dont know its there, I have caught some big catfish out of it and I bet if I put some type structure, I can catch crappie out of there also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast