Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Misses while long lining

Post Thanks / Like

Default Misses while long lining

Hi All, last year I set my boat up for spider rigging and just didn't really care for all the complexity of it. I don't have a bass boat. My boat is a smaller fishing boat with a tiller motor and trolling motor on the transom. I started long lining instead and enjoy it and have been pretty successful at it. I have rod holders allowing the rods to be out the side of the boat. My current setup is I normally hold my light/short pole in my hand and I put 2 in the road holders. We are only allowed 3 here in Indiana. The middle pole I have been using is a gander mountain medium vortex road. The 3rd pole I use is a 10 footer HT panfish special that I had used for spider rigging. I seem to get lots of misses on those poles i am not holding. Is that typical? The third pole isn't very stiff so I'm wondering if a stiffer rod would help set the hook better. Does it help to speed up when getting a bite to set the hook?

Post Thanks / Like

i run into the same problem often, only thing i have figured out is that the ones im missing are very small. all the decent fish i catch pretty much hook themselves. every once in a while i will hook one that didn't bite hard and it's a little 6 or 7 incher. they like to play with ya

Post Thanks / Like

Seen a video the other day about side pulling. Had a smaller boat and it looked like it worked great.
    Take you kids fishing today!!! They will be grown (and married and have children of their on) tomorrow. Then you can take your GRANDKIDS!
    Podunkideas Pro Staff
    Cornfield Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 10point View Post
    Does it help to speed up when getting a bite to set the hook?
    If I'm getting short strikes, I will do the same thing....hold a rod. If they are crappie I will speed it up a tenth of two. Often times, those short strikes are white and/or yellow bass. I would agree with the statement that bigger fish usually hook themselves.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I think a very slow tip rod is a huge plus when longlining. A stiff rod may make you feel better about hooking fish but if the rod is in a holder, I think the whippy tip of a slow rod lets the fish mouth the jig and take a second longer to get it in its mouth. To me, longlining is much more about the fish hooking itself. I rarely set the hook on a fish that has loaded up the rod with a bite. I will sweep the rod back slowly to put more pressure on the fish then start reeling it in. Trying to cross the fish's eyes with a hook set is more something I might do when spider rigging.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I like the action of the BGJPs for longling myself.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

I was introduced to crappie fishing in the 70s fishing like you describe, except we only used 1 rod each, The curly tail grubs had just started showing up and the small crappie would peck and peck at it til it drove you crazy. I found some Rooster jigs made by Rooster Tail that had tiny treble hooks in the small hair tail. That put an end to the pecking and is how I found out it was small crappie. I caught some that were 4" using that jig. I have not been able to locate them now and I suspect they no longer make them.
    One trick we learned with the rod we were holding was to not set the hook, but let it take a deliberate bend and we knew we had hooked up. When one hit and missed, we would drop the rod back and let the jig fall and lots of time he would take it on the fall.
    Good luck and good fishing.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

All I do is long line in spring and probably have too many trees in here for summer, but I only use one rod and hold it all the time. Many times it takes a good hook set to catch up with them. I always fish like this when long lining and have been doing that since 1979. Fall also that is how I fish.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with mrdux. I watch the rod tip start to bend and them just pick it up and start reeling. Most of the time I don't have many fish get off after they have bent the rod even if you get 2 or 3 fish on at a time. However I did seem to have more fish just come off the hook this spring than normal. I don't know why cause all the equipment was the same as every other year. Only thing it could have been I fished shallower this year with mostly a 1/32 oz jig and that could have been my problem.
    Set da hook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post
    I think a very slow tip rod is a huge plus when longlining. A stiff rod may make you feel better about hooking fish but if the rod is in a holder, I think the whippy tip of a slow rod lets the fish mouth the jig and take a second longer to get it in its mouth. To me, longlining is much more about the fish hooking itself. I rarely set the hook on a fish that has loaded up the rod with a bite. I will sweep the rod back slowly to put more pressure on the fish then start reeling it in. Trying to cross the fish's eyes with a hook set is more something I might do when spider rigging.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast