Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Newbie Question on The Importance of Fishfinders

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbie Question on The Importance of Fishfinders

Hello from Kansas.

I just got an old 16' fiber glass fishing boat. It does have a trolling motor up front. As you can tell by the boat I purchased, I have a limited budget for fishing equipment. This is my first fishing boat. I will be fishing for crappie on state lakes and reservoirs. My questions are, how important are fishfinders to successful and enjoyable fishing? As a follow up, if you were recommend a finder to a beginner who has not used one before and has a max budget of $ 350 which one? I have no manufacturer preference.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I use the fishfinder portion of my Lowrance for structure location, water temp, and finding schools of fish. That being said, I have been shutting it off on recent trips with the kids because they are more interested in running to it to see if theres any fish on the screen than actually fishing and working on catching something. They wouldn't listen to the fact that fish on the screen doesn't mean fish in the boat, so I shut it off. For $100-$300 you can get a hummingbird or lowrance that will work for your application.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You can get a decent little unit from Lowrance,Humminbird or Garmin for around a 100.00 or less. Will show the bottom and brush piles. Will help locate bait fish schools. You can find and follow creek channels. Basically all you need to get started. Save as much as you can and use it for other thing you will eventually need. Or put up the difference between that and your max budget. Add a few bucks every payday or so and down the road if you see the need you will have the money for a bigger unit.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Like the others have said,

For you basic needs, get a fish finder that shows the depth! (all of them do that). Most DNR sites have local lake maps that you can print out. You will find those useful in your adventures.

Check out the classifieds here on Crappie.com. Also check a local pawn shop. Most outdoors stores run specials on units all the time. Contact one of the guys at the closest cabelas or bass pro in the electronics department and they will tell you when something is going on sale. Start with a nice affordable unit and go from there. Heck, new boats come with a basic unit that most guys take out the minute they get home. You may find something that got one with their boat that might give it to you. I gave one away last year to a guy in the exact position you are in.

Good luck
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

I remember all I had when I started was a flasher....some of you guys remember those. I actually have down scan and side imaging and still use my flasher at times....however. I would recommend you buy the best fish finder you can. I prefer hummingbird and lowrance. I have been on a tight budget my self and I have found great used equipment for cheap because someone just wanted to upgrade. Look on ebay or even your local bait stores that sells units.. Bass n gas in benton ky usually has great used unit ask for Matt. He can point you in the right direction
    Likes TurboDan LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Like some said most cheap units show depth and structure. I would buy under 100 dollar unit and a hand held gps if you fish bigger waters to be able to go back to submerged cover.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

jigfisherx is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General, MO Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Check your messages
    God bless Charlie Brewer and Bobby Garland.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a lowrance Elite 4 DSI which cost me less than $300. It works well enough to find structure. I suggest to get the lakemaster or navionics card for your unit to help navigate and mark spots where you find structure so you can come back later. That will cost another $100. Also you should get a lake map from a store that shows the old river channels and are sometimes marked with fishing spots that have structure.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kickingback View Post
    I have a lowrance Elite 4 DSI which cost me less than $300. It works well enough to find structure. I suggest to get the lakemaster or navionics card for your unit to help navigate and mark spots where you find structure so you can come back later. That will cost another $100. Also you should get a lake map from a store that shows the old river channels and are sometimes marked with fishing spots that have structure.
    Don't know about your state but many Arkansas Game and Fish Commission and Corps of Engineers lakes have public fish shelters and will give free maps with coordinates.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs