Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Homemade marker buoy ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Homemade marker buoy ideas?

I've never used marker buoys before but wish I had some this weekend. I'm a bit of a tinkerer and wanted to make some instead of buying. Thought that with all the knowledge on this board, someone has probally done some trial and error with homemade buoys. I'm thinking of useing some left over pvc, putting end caps on and attatch some line and weight. Small enough to stash but large enough to see in the water. Any thoughts of something better?

Post Thanks / Like

save some swim noodles like kids use in pools swimming. They are made out of styrofoam. Cut into sections. I'll use a grinder and notch out a groove for the line to lay. Then tie some left over fishing line around it and tie a 2 ounce sinker on for your weight. Oh yeah, stick a couple of nails in it. One on each end on the same "side". This will throw the bouy out of balance and will make it stop spinning once your weight hits bottom. I use swim noodles for a lot of things. I put my capps and coleman rigs on small pieces and use them like leader wheels. I also make small marker bouys with them and go around and find all my brushpiles up a creek before I fish them and drop a marker. I make them small enough that they look like a piece of trash on the water and people just ignore them. even other anglers. Then I go back to my first spot and start fishing and I can quickly fish the area because my spots are already marked. Works good. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    Likes Tyson Brown LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Jerry Blake taught me to the same thing Crappiefarmer just explained. We use about 6-8" piece of swim noodle; push a 60p nail (small spike bought at Lowes for about .25) down one side of the noodle for a counter balance (stops the unrolling when sinker hits bottom); tie 30-40' of small cord to the center (trimming the groove we don't do because after a small amount of use and rewinding the center depresses into a dumbell shape anyway); with a 2oz. bottom sinker tied to the end. If you need one for rough water, use two nails on the same side and a 4oz. sinker.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

hawkman is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sccamper
    I've never used marker buoys before but wish I had some this weekend. I'm a bit of a tinkerer and wanted to make some instead of buying. Thought that with all the knowledge on this board, someone has probally done some trial and error with homemade buoys. I'm thinking of useing some left over pvc, putting end caps on and attatch some line and weight. Small enough to stash but large enough to see in the water. Any thoughts of something better?
    This topic was discussed a while back with some pretty good ideas. You will have to have some way to stop it when the weight hits bottom. Otherwise the line will keep on unwinding & the marker will drift off target.
    http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...t=marker+buoys
    Crappie fishing is my lighthouse of sanity in an insane world,
    It keeps me from crashing on the rocky shores of everyday life.
    Crappie.com is my beacon of light!

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Morris
    Jerry Blake taught me to the same thing Crappiefarmer just explained. We use about 6-8" piece of swim noodle; push a 60p nail (small spike bought at Lowes for about .25) down one side of the noodle for a counter balance (stops the unrolling when sinker hits bottom); tie 30-40' of small cord to the center (trimming the groove we don't do because after a small amount of use and rewinding the center depresses into a dumbell shape anyway); with a 2oz. bottom sinker tied to the end. If you need one for rough water, use two nails on the same side and a 4oz. sinker.
    That counter weight is the ticket. I know I tried a plain quart clorox bottle and the wind and waves just kept right on un-winding the string and the "marker" was nowhere near over top of the sinker on the end of the line. When it gets near dark it's nice to drop a marker letting you know exactly where you want the boat to set when putting out chene anchors. Even though I have a marker or two I think I'll make a couple like these. Thanks for the tip.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

The Kids Swimming Noodles Are Great For Several Things.
    We Run A Wire Coat Hanger Through Them And Make "jugs" Out Of Them For Jug Fishing. So Far Our Largest Is A 15 Pound
    Catfish On A 12" "noodle". Its Lots Of Fun, Me The Kids And
    Grandkids Eat It Up.

John B.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used these foam "bumpers" off of new cars. They are on the doors when the cars are delivered. I used the nail for the counter weight but I didn't have to buy these things I just asked if I could have some and the dealer gave them to me, they just throw them away .

Post Thanks / Like

Default this is the way

I have fished with both of these guys. I like their markers over my store bought ones. Mine are the orange "box" type. they splash and make all kinds of noise when the string unwinds on the water.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

anchorpuller is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Darryl,

If it wouldn't be too much trouble, maybe you could post a picture of one and exactly where to put the nail and how you wind the cord. I'd be grateful!
    "Be Ye Fishers of Men" You catch them- He will clean them

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input! I knew yall could keep me from wasteing a bunch of time trying things that didnt work. I never thought about the noodles, sounds like a winner to me.