Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New Rod & Reel

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Rod & Reel

Went down to Cabelas in E. Hartford, CT. today to pick up my order and do a little extra shopping around there. I picked up my pre-ordered B n' M, 9' SHSS, matched up with a Pflueger President, model 6920 reel (which you folks seemed to favor). I filled haft the spool with 4# test Trilene mono and then filled the rest with 2# test Fireline Crystal. To that end I tied (Alberto knot - a real challenge with such fine, whispy line and these old eyes!) a 6' section of 2# test Trilene for my leader.

This will be the longest rod I've ever used, except for fly fishing. Will be curious to see what this combo does with casting 1/16 oz. jigs tomorrow, when I go to the Quabbin Reservoir here to fish for crappie. We will drifting some as well, which I believe where this rig will shine. I have high hopes! I have a couple of other B n' M rods which I love. The 7' SHSS is my favorite thus far. We'll just have to see if the 9' is "too much", or if I made a good selection.

Will report after our trip tomorrow.

BTW, not sure of the Cabelas where you folks reside, but this one didn't impress me with the low selection of terminal tackle and jigs, etc.. I'm happy I pre-ordered - for in store pick-up - instead of just going there (1-hr. from me) expecting to find what I really needed!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes EARL KITCHENS LIKED above post

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Longer rods work great for long distant casting and if light enough will work good to help give when fighting big fish working with drag on reel.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Hit the Quabbin today with the new rig. LOVE it! Very sensitive. Took awhile for me to adjust to it's length on the cast, but once I settled down, it was fine. Probably got 50 or 60 crappie - all released- today. Here's a sample:

Name:  Rich_Crappie_1_zps48300cd1.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  49.3 KB

Name:  Rich_Crappie_2_zps1c184f24.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  51.0 KB

Name:  Rich_Crappie_3_zps55a75486.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  48.7 KB

Name:  Rich_Bluegill_zps379bb421.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  40.3 KB
    Likes skiptomylu, Cane Pole LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Can't say anything about cabelas never been to one. Just a regular guy here so I wind up a Academy. LOL Nice fish.
    FISH ON

Post Thanks / Like

I have a President XT on a 10' SHSS with 6# FireLine and 6# Mr. Crappie rigged up pretty much the same way as yours. Now if I could just find some fish like that .

I've been really happy with my setup. While 2# is a good bit too "whispy" for me I did recently purchase some 4# FireLine and 4# Trilene I was thinking of using for a very similar setup as yours for bream fishing. I need to purchase the 9' SHSS but I have a MicroSpin reel I will most likely be using.

I only use about a 1'-2' (a foot per lure I use) piece of mono as a leader on my FireLine. Only because FireLine seemed to give way too easy at the knot and it is a lot easier to cinch down a knot with mono. Looking like I'll probably be fishing the same FireLine for the next few years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lazi View Post
    I have a President XT on a 10' SHSS with 6# FireLine and 6# Mr. Crappie rigged up pretty much the same way as yours. Now if I could just find some fish like that .

I've been really happy with my setup. While 2# is a good bit too "whispy" for me I did recently purchase some 4# FireLine and 4# Trilene I was thinking of using for a very similar setup as yours for bream fishing. I need to purchase the 9' SHSS but I have a MicroSpin reel I will most likely be using.

I only use about a 1'-2' (a foot per lure I use) piece of mono as a leader on my FireLine. Only because FireLine seemed to give way too easy at the knot and it is a lot easier to cinch down a knot with mono. Looking like I'll probably be fishing the same FireLine for the next few years.
    Ever since I started using the Alberto knot, I have not had a problem with joining mono to light Fireline. I have two other rigs filled with 4# test Fireline with a mono leader. Have used them for several seasons and only change the leader when it gets too short. The Alberto knot works well in this situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Love the Pics!

Post Thanks / Like

The Alberto know works wonders when joining lines. I have a 12' B-n-M with a Mitchell 308 Pro Rigged with Power Pro 15# hi-vis yellow braid with a 2' Mr. Crappie 6# hi-vis yellow leader. Casts wonderfully. Great for bank fishing. Cabela's is better for pre-ordering because they usually don't have much to offer in the store except their own products, kind of like Bass Pro Shops. Love the pics!

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at your pics you had it working. Hope you like it.

Post Thanks / Like

I just love the longer rods, just makes things easier especially when tight lining and long line trolling. Fishing brush when you have say a 10' rod you at least know how much line you have out so easy to get back at same depth. Plus hardly any reeling when fishing like that as just lift and net!
    Congrats on the new rod and reel, think you will enjoy them!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!