Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use a Fly Rod with spinning reel for Crappie??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone use a Fly Rod with spinning reel for Crappie??

Just wondering if anyone uses a fly rod with spinning reel for Crappie.

If any of you do use a fly rod what make, length and line weight are you using?
    2013 Lund Rebel 1650 XL Sport
    60 hp Mercury 4-stroke
    Humminbird 998c HD SI, 958c HD & 788ci HD
    Minn Kota Terrova w/i-pilot

Post Thanks / Like

Saw Bill Dance do it on one of his shows for dapping around stumps for gills and crappies. He was using an 8' 6" 5 weight and he used 8 lb. line. He used the heavier line as he didn't want the wire guides on the rod weakening his line.

I thought about it as I have one spot on the big FW pond I fish that I thought about using it to slingshot a bait and the longer length of the fly rod to help keep any fish away from the tangles on shore.

Depending on where your fishing it say heavy timber or snag areas I'd say up it to at least a 5 weight it's a bit more sturdy and if a bass was to take your bait it would be a fun time on a 4 or 5!!!!

Let us know how you make out!!!!!!!
    Likes kingrat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have done it in the past. I just used a 5wt.

I think anything in the 4-5-6 wt range would be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I have done it also, but I prefer a 12' dipping rod with a fly reel on it to hold line. You have to decide if you are casting or dipping, and then go with the best set up for what you are trying to do. Casting with a spinning reel on a 9'+ rod doesn't work well for me, and if I'm dipping then I want the longer 11-12' pole.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warmouth View Post
    You have to decide if you are casting or dipping, and then go with the best set up for what you are trying to do.
    Agreed. I was casting and used a 7'9" rod.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to use a fly rod with spinning reel ... mostly for fishing in the Fall, around cedar trees in 20' of water or deeper, with a slip float/minnow rig on 20/6 Spiderwire ... on one specific lake. Worked very well, for that time & purpose.

The fly rod is a 8ft long "Roddy" Custom Built hollow fiberglass rod .... that was a hand me down from my Grandfather. He used to use it to tightline (still fish) for Crappie, with the auto fly reel & fly line ... and a 2ft leader of 8lb mono with hook/sinker/minnow.

Fly Rods & reels are all retired, now ... worth more in sentimental value than anything else.

... cp

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a White River 9 ft 8 wt. Small spinning reel and 8 lb line. Works as good as any of my jigging poles. Like the weight and balance.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

ive been fishing 50 yrs...thats all i use

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

White River Fly shop 9 ft 6 wt Small Shamino spinning(SE500FD) reel,10lb test 4 lb dia!! berkley nano-fil line!!!
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

That is my favorite in the spring around the cypress trees. I use a 8 and 1/2 foot Berkley Cherrywood graphite 7 weight. use 8 lb. test spiderwire. Most of the time it is about 4 foot deep fishing or less. Dapping around the trees and stumps is the most effective method to catch crappies here in the spring. Have used it to cast with in the fall but has a tendency to twist the line at time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast