Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lures..?...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lures..?...

So all my crappie fishing has been spider rigging minnows and jigging tubes every now and then.. Since I'm fishing from a kayak more these days I like the aspect of light tackle and not lugging around live bait that often, and don't think pulling crankbaits would work that great from a kayak. My question is just simply, what else as far as artificial lures are out there/what do you suggest.
    God, Family, Fishing
    twitter: @jbonesky

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

CASTING !!! (which also includes shooting docks)

Baits are personal choice ... but I like solid bodied plastics on a 1/16oz weedless jig head - 6lb test mono - 6'6" fast taper action rod for overall casting purposes. When dock shooting is available, the only thing I change is the rod length ... and I go to a 5'6" fast taper action rod. But, I'm not averse to shooting docks with the 6'6" rod, should I already have it in hand when a opportunity arises.
    I also like marabou Roadrunners and Charlie Brewer Pro Whirly Bee lures ... mainly for casting more open water situations. They're cast using a 7' Med action rod & 10/2 PowerPro braid. I even, sometimes, troll with them as I move from one location to another (if they're not too far apart).

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    CASTING !!! (which also includes shooting docks)
    Ditto.

I've been using nothing but jigs for over thirty years. That's all you really need, IMO. The type/color of jig is not nearly as important as how you fish it.
    Likes NIMROD, tablesaw LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thats what I wanted to hear. Now just got to load up the tackle box, and work on presentation and structure location. Thanks guys!
    God, Family, Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Jigs are the go to bait for crappie but the largest crappie I've caught was on a Bettle Spin. One thing I like about the Bettle Spin is it will catch about any species and is fun to work around stumps and brush when you are just paddling around and casting for whatever might be biting.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men
    Likes Eagle 1 LIKED above post

NIMROD is online now Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I use only two types of baits for Crappie. MEATGETTER's hand tied jigs and Southern pro tubes ( 2'' umbrella tubes or 2.5'' Capps and Coleman ). They can be trolled , cast or like i do verticle jigged!
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Likes Jbones LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Bare Hair jigs tipped with nothing are good. Don't forget about "Gulp Alive" minnows.

With all the above information, sounds like you are still going to have a full tackle box and Kayak! You can never have enough baits, you just don't have to bring all of them with you at one time....

I tell my wife I need a bigger boat. My current one doesn't hold all my fishing equipment
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes Jbones LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Haha I have already planned to reorginize garage for more fishing storage, and looking at bigger kayaks !
    God, Family, Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

I own a fishing bait company. And all I carry is panfish lures. If you are interested in trying some different stuff p.m. Me and I can throw together an assortment and see what you like. A lot of it is personal preference . I use a lot of tubes lil hustler tubes, umbrella tubes, stingers, strider bugs, and the list goes on. I carry all of these products. Good luck and let me know if you want some to try out

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Besides the jigs and soft plastics....I would carry a few Beetle-spins and also some Road Runners
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes NIMROD LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast