Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hot rod crappie setup

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hot rod crappie setup

Here is a useful tip to increase your catch's while using slip bobbers.

#1 - Use your favorite spring bobber. I remove the spring, cut the bobber shaft where the top of the spring was, and sand the new end rounded and smooth. Then drill a hole into it just large enough to insert the shank of the hook eye from any 3/0 hook that is angled at 45 degrees (#2). Epoxy in the hook eye to form a hole for the line to pass through. The 45 degree angle is perfect to let the line pass through unobstructed and when the bobber is standing upright makes for better contact with your bait.

#3 - I use a Blood knot to join the 4 to 6 pound mono (#6) or Fierline to the 6 pound florocarbon (#5) leader of about 8 inches in length. The florocarbon has proven to catch more fish and the blood knot allows me to lightly attach split shot as needed without the wieght slipping down to the hook or needing to be crimped so hard that it cuts the line causing break offs. I use P-line florocarbon.

#4 - I use a #4 or #6 circle hook that is dipped in chartruesse powder coat. For crappie I have found nothing better for hooks. We've tried red, chrome, gold and black hooks but the chartruese ones win hands down each trip. Eagle claw sells some that are not circle hooks and work well but you can make them cheap. Get the hooks and some $2 powder from your local tackle shop. Simply heat the hook with a lighter or propane tourch and dip it into the powder. Its that simple. To cure the powder to last longer (not needed for most) bake the hooks at 350 for an hour and you will never get the paint off again. I attach the hook with a Half Blood knot.

Use your favorite bobber stop and if you are real serious replace the plastic bead with a glass one from a craft shop for a few more penny's.

This is an easy modification that gives you maximum line strength, is easy to fine tune the weight without damaging your line causing breaks. The florocarbon definately helps as does the chartruese hook. The line fly's right through the bobber putting your bait in the "zone" faster and longer. We add weight as needed to barely float the bobber. If set up correctly you will see the minnow twitching your bobber when scared as a fish gets near to eat it. With circle hooks you don't set the hook as you would with most hooks. You must get in the habit of just lifting or cranking till the line comes tight.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jumping Cholla Jigs; 11-26-2006 at 12:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks pretty good to me JCJ.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]