Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Osage River Sunday

Post Thanks / Like

Default Osage River Sunday

Since we had 1 1/2 inches of rain Saturday evening the Bourbeuse looked like chocolate milk again. The Gasconade was in the same shape. So we went to the Osage since it probably had the best water color. The rain didn't reach that far. Even though it had been going up and down because of the water being let out of the dams we thought it was the best shot. The Missouri was still up and hard to fish at that stage. Only 1 other rig in parking lot at 7 am. Went down river to see if bass wanted to bite. Nope, nada, nothing. Well this isn't good. Couldn't find any whites either. Husband did catch a skipjack. Ok good bait to go along with crawlers. Started bait fishing. I caught a small,channel cat and husband caught a small flathead and a 3 lb channel cat. So decided to try bass again but on way to next spot we floated down the river dragging crawlers on bottom. Usually we can pick up a drum or a nice cat doing that. Nope. Not this time. I finally caught a dinky bass and a skipjack. Husband caught another skipjack and a couple dinky bass. I also caught 2 gars and a common carp. No drum, white bass, crappie or bluegill which was really strange. The water going up and down several feet each day had them all messed up. Only saw 1 other boat and 2 jets skis in 5 hours. We thought wow were is all the boats. When we got back to ramp we knew why. The lot was full and parking up the road. They were all going up river. What a mess. Steady stream of rigs coming in with no place to go or turn around. It was party time. We finally got our boat out but had to drive way up the road to pull over and secure stuff. That was interesting too. It is a narrow road for 2 vehicles to pass. Well with boats parked on the side and more coming I they had to pull over so I could squeeze through. There was nowhere for those rigs to go when they got down there. If some body pulled in there with a big fiberglass outfit they would have had a big problem. It was interesting. Vacation the first 2 weeks of July. Will go during the week. Lol
    Likes south point LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I fished a bass tournament out of Osage Tavern Sunday. The kentuckies and big gar were about the only thing biting. Lots of kentuckies weighed in and those don't cut it on the Osage most of the time. The few guys who caught a few largemouth were the ones at the top. Still beat fishing the Gasconade where I've been doing good to even catch a dozen fish in a day of fishing.

The water was pretty clear up there. Average visibility was 3-4' with some spots out of the current where you could see 8-10'.
    Likes south point LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

perch, do you save those skipjacks and freeze them? great back up bait for the missouri when you can't catch fresh. cats will be tough right now, because the channels and blues are spawning with the flatheads to follow suit before long.
    Seth, did ya see many silver carp in that clear water? time for some bowfishing fun, gimme a shout if you feel like tagging along sometime!

Post Thanks / Like

We cut 1 up and used it. That is what hubby caught the nice channel on and what I caught the gar on. The other 2 we brought home and put in freezer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by south point View Post
    perch, do you save those skipjacks and freeze them? great back up bait for the missouri when you can't catch fresh. cats will be tough right now, because the channels and blues are spawning with the flatheads to follow suit before long.
    Seth, did ya see many silver carp in that clear water? time for some bowfishing fun, gimme a shout if you feel like tagging along sometime!
    I seen a few fish that may have been asian carp but not positive. Never seen any jumping silvers. I could of had fun ahooting gar and buffalo/common carp in the clear water.

I need to get another bow fishing setup one of these days. My last one burnt up in a pantry fire at my parents several years ago and I never replaced it.