Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jigs where you live?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jigs where you live?

Hey CRAPPIE PEOPLE, I live in arizona and i have noticed that every one seems to be fishing plastics. I tie alot of my own jigs, Hair,Marabou,Feather ect. The crappie here will flat eat a tied jig.The local stores here dont sell much of a selection of tied jigs.Mostly all plastic.Where you live do the stores sell the tied stuff and what mite the locals use most? Could jig types be a state by state thing???

Post Thanks / Like

I use tube jigs EXCLUSIVELY!!! I make my own heads and I get the tubes for 3 cents each from www.grizzlyjig.com. Each jig ends up costing me about 6 cents each and their effectiveness is second to none.
    A bad day fishing is better than a good day working anytime. So says the Perchmaster!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I use tubes for crappie most of the time but once in awhile I will get a crappie on a feathered jig while gill fishing.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I feel that it will make a difference in color selection from lake to lake, but the same jigs will work anywhere IMHO!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I use my hand-tied jigs pretty much exclusively, now working some Culprit products into the mix. I find that the crappie prefer the calf's tail jig over pretty much anything.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up You've come to the right place.....

Quote Originally Posted by talegunner
    Hey CRAPPIE PEOPLE, I live in arizona and i have noticed that every one seems to be fishing plastics. I tie alot of my own jigs, Hair,Marabou,Feather ect. The crappie here will flat eat a tied jig.The local stores here dont sell much of a selection of tied jigs.Mostly all plastic.Where you live do the stores sell the tied stuff and what mite the locals use most? Could jig types be a state by state thing???
    There are several, very good custom jig tying members, here.

Locally, (Central KY) our bait shops tend to have a fairly even supply of both, plastics & tied. We even have several "local" custom jig makers, that make a variety of very productive hair/feather jigs. Our retail stores are full of commercially produced hair/feather/marabou jigs, and plastics.
    Don't know about jig types being a "state by state" thing ... more like a person by person thing.
    I'm heavy into using plastics, for most of my jig slinging. But, that's because I use weedless jigheads, in most cases. If/when I use tied hair/feather/fabric jigs ... I have several local sources to draw from, plus several members (from other states) that can produce some very productive items. ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I only use plastic jigs. The jigs I use are solid body jigs that some friends of mine and I make. Our catch rate with these jigs is much better than any other baiys we have tried including minnows. These jigs are the only ones for me.
    To make life enjoyable, you must have crappie days.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

there are times when a tied jig catch more than plastics for me. then of course, there are times when the plastic will do just as good as a hair jig, particularly in clear or lightly stained water. wintertime fishing, for me, is more productive with hair jigs. plastics will catch some in cold water, but i feel the hair jigs work better , primarily because the hair doesn't "stiffen up" from the cold like plastics do. lol

KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY

Post Thanks / Like

Default Around here

Here there are a few places that handle some different hair jigs and almost all of them handle some kind of rubber skirts. I find the rubber skirts best in the spring and summer when they want a little more action or aggrevation. I like the hair jigs in fall and winter for a slow fall and little action. Most people around here either tie their own hair jigs or know someone that will tie them for them. As far as fishing HERE, feathers are best left on a hen's behind!
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mo'nBack
    Here there are a few places that handle some different hair jigs and almost all of them handle some kind of rubber skirts. I find the rubber skirts best in the spring and summer when they want a little more action or aggrevation. I like the hair jigs in fall and winter for a slow fall and little action. Most people around here either tie their own hair jigs or know someone that will tie them for them. As far as fishing HERE, feathers are best left on a hen's behind!
    DITTO

KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 11-27-2006 at 08:31 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast