Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: $#@&*&^^%#^%& Yellow Flies

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default $#@&*&^^%#^%& Yellow Flies

Nuff said!!
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Third summer living in Suffolk on a wooded lot near Lake Prince. First two summers no flies. This spring the yellow flies are tearing me up! Just killed 5 while working in the garden. Heard you can buy a spray that you put on jugs and the flies stick to it. Anyone tried it?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

They are worse some years than others. I should be use to them by now. I don't know what that spray is your talking about but if it works please let me know what it is.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

They are worse when it gets really dry. You will notice that after a rain, they are not as bad for a little while. My Parents live in a small block of woods on the Albemarle Sound. For some reason, those flies love that patch of woods and will swarm you 20 and 30 at a time. I have killed 3 in one swat many times there and when You go swimming there, the flies will literally run You down to the water and make You dive in. after that, they leave You alone. Only good thing about those flies is they are fairly easy to kill. Just let him land and come in with Your hand from a side angle. Not dead over its head. They don't seem to see as good out to the sides.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Darn those sound worse than our skeeters.
    FISH ON

Post Thanks / Like

My wife bought some horse fly treatment for my dogs ears from a horse supply by my house and it worked great so we added some to water and sprayed it on ourselves and it worked great for all insects even in the woods at night in the summer camping. It smelled good to.
    Likes crappiefarmer, crappie wannabe LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Had a post on another forum about them. Same as deer flies they say. One guy painted a milk jug black and coated it with STP, they stick to it. Another said blue is the colour that they are most attracted to and to use something called tanglefoot to coat with.