Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Catawba Worms

Post Thanks / Like

Default Catawba Worms

My brother-n-law has some nest in his biggest tree and today we were looking at the nest. Only one seems to have a few worms. My question is when is the peak time for the worms. We want to collect some place them in meal and freeze them. I think they are some of the finest brim bait around.
    FISH ON

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

The Sphinx Moths lay eggs on tree and hatch out caterpillars (Catalpa Worms ) Never saw a nest just eaten leaves. They grow fast so keep a close watch cause once mature the worms leave. I pefer to use them fresh for bait. Catfish love those worms. I put them in plastic bags in the crisper drawer and the cool keeps them good for several days. The little woman hates it but sure good place to keep them. I plant the Umbrella Catalpa trees as they don't get real big like Northern or Southern Catalpa trees making harvesting worms easier.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Likes primitivefrn LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Im with Nimrod on the nest.I have a couple trees and havent ever noticed a 'nest' of any sort.Nimrod,where do you find the umbrella trees? The city where I work has some huge catawba trees in a old textile mill land,probally big as a 55 gallon drum.Ive never saw any worms on these big trees though.
    HEY,,WATCH THAT YELLOW ROD

Post Thanks / Like

A nest sounds more like tent caterpillars than catalpa worms.
    Likes Clint, stormcloud LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

is a catawba worm like a catalpa worm, or the same thing? our "catalpa worms" are green and black worms. havent had any on my old tree for years though.

Post Thanks / Like

where I fish there are several hanging over the water, fish go nuts when the worms are on the leaves, haven't seen any this year

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bearclaw View Post
    Im with Nimrod on the nest.I have a couple trees and havent ever noticed a 'nest' of any sort.Nimrod,where do you find the umbrella trees? The city where I work has some huge catawba trees in a old textile mill land,probally big as a 55 gallon drum.Ive never saw any worms on these big trees though.
    If not finding local order from tree nursery . You can cut off a good sized limb in spring when they bud out to propagate. Dip in water and then in root tone to coat where it will contact wet dirt. Push in several inches of good soil and keep watered and they will take root.
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

My uncle an I used to get them and head to the bluegill hole. Definitely a confidence bait. Many years ago, people use to turn them inside out with a nail. Said it made them more attractive to fish. (got this tidbit from an old Havilah Babcock book, he was an outdoor writer who wrote about hunting and fishing. I highly recommend his books if you love the outdoors)

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like what we called pecan worms
    Crappie bite twice a day. 15 minutes before I get there and 10 minutes after I leave.
    The two loudest sounds are a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and one that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.
    If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can generally count on Paul's vote.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gomer Snerd View Post
    sounds like what we called pecan worms
    Pecan or Oak worms will catch fish but those big Catalpa worms are best in my opinion . The Catalpa Worms do not make a web like others do and only get on Catalpa Trees.
    Takeum Jigs

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast