Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Default any suggestions?

Ventured out Monday. Water temp. was 81, air temp about 93. There is no place in the lake over 13' to 15' feet deep. I didn't do very well, only caught 14 shellcrackers and blue gills, only 2 crappie. A friend caught some nice ones at 22' deep in another lake. Hard to find them in this lake, being shallow like it is. Any suggestion on what to do to try to catch them or should I just go someplace else........Thanks......crappie1133

Post Thanks / Like

Try drifting with a 1/8 oz. ball head jig dressed with a straight tailed plastic (i.e.: Bobby Garlands Baby Shad). Keep the jig vertical under the boat as much as possible. Just let the jig tick along the top of the weeds or rocks. With the temps this high, I suspect they'll be hovering around the bottom when not feeding. If you see any baitfish activity, focus on that. They could be suspended just below them. Then it's a matter of casting to them and counting down. I find curly tails dressed on a 1/16 oz. jig head to be a better option in this situation.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    Try drifting with a 1/8 oz. ball head jig dressed with a straight tailed plastic (i.e.: Bobby Garlands Baby Shad). Keep the jig vertical under the boat as much as possible. Just let the jig tick along the top of the weeds or rocks. With the temps this high, I suspect they'll be hovering around the bottom when not feeding. If you see any baitfish activity, focus on that. They could be suspended just below them. Then it's a matter of casting to them and counting down. I find curly tails dressed on a 1/16 oz. jig head to be a better option in this situation.
    Thanks crestliner, I will give it a try. I appreciate your input.....crappie1133

Post Thanks / Like

The shallow water is your friend. I always look forward to the summer thermocline on our deeper waters, because as least I know the crappies will be above it. I would look for cover in the 6-10' range. If your lake is void of cover, use what structure is available and look for fish to suspend over top of it. Sometimes, the fish will be suspended just a foot or two down over the deepest part of the lake. If you caught 2 crappie, they are in there....good luck, more time on the water will put you on a pattern for this particular lake.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Spend some time reading here about making fish attractor structure then put some in to concentrate the fish. It will only take a few days to get crappie using it and it will take longer for other fishermen to find the stuff you put in.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff