Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Post Spwan Crappies

Post Thanks / Like

Default Post Spwan Crappies

i have just started getting into Crappie fishing (bank fishing). Early spring i was hammering them in shallow waters easy to reach from the bank with a minnow bobber rig... Now its post spawn i cant seem to find them. Where would be a good starting point to look for them and bait selection for post spawn crappies.... thank you

Post Thanks / Like

From the bank, if you know the body of water? I would use a jig and 4lb test line . Using the count down method, cast, splash, count 1 2 3 etc until you get bit. Start with a small jig . Increase weight depending on how far you need to cast. Another method would be a slip bobber and jig, set depth at 4-5 feet deep and increase until bit. I like to tip jigs with crappie nipples or Berkeley maggots. Don't just let the bobber set, bump it now and then reeling it in. Try these tips let us know how it goes. You can use minnows too of course but I hate them. Also throw small to medium crank baits and rip them back. This covers more water and May aide you in locating them. Then you can fine tune your approach. Hope this helps good luck and good fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Here abouts the crappie tend to suspend during this post spawn period; positioning themselves just off the first break or weed edge. I agree with Gobob as far as counting down. If there are bluegill in the pond, then you will need to go beyond the first few hits as these fish tend to suspend higher in the water column than crappie do. I like casting 1/16 oz. ball heads with Bobby's baby shads on the back, employing a slow retreive at various depths, until I get bit. Sometimes they are high, sometimes they are low. You just have to experiment and find out where they are located. The slip bobber route works well the the straight tailed shads as well. Good Luck!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the help, ill give it a try..... i have a 9 ft crappie rod so i should be able to cast out to the deeper water..... i picked up some 1/8oz crankbaits last week ill try those too.