PDA

View Full Version : Imitation is the highest form of flattery photo

shipahoy41
06-17-2014, 12:44 PM
I saw a lure in the Bass Pro Shop catalog that I just had to try and make for myself. Then I wanted to see if I could get the spinner arm duplicated by just usinga leader instead of an elbow spinner. Here is what I came up with. I welcome your feedback and comments.

BoarBuster
06-17-2014, 01:10 PM
Ok I think you can do it.

montagc
06-17-2014, 01:50 PM
That is a good idea! I may have to steal, err, borrow that from you! :biggrin

Kevin22
06-17-2014, 01:55 PM
Blade is a little small for the size snap you used, but otherwise it looks good. Would probably work just fine.

shipahoy41
06-17-2014, 04:49 PM
Blade is a little small for the size snap you used, but otherwise it looks good. Would probably work fine.

Thanks.
With the snap it is easy to go to a larger blade or a different color blade.

Mikie
06-17-2014, 08:27 PM
Always thinking ain't you Ship, I like people like you.

Luvfatslabs
06-17-2014, 11:10 PM
Looks like that minnow will hunt

shipahoy41
06-18-2014, 06:46 AM
Blade is a little small for the size snap you used, but otherwise it looks good. Would probably work just fine.

This is a photo of the same setup just with the different blade. It does the same job as a beetle spin lure setup.

Here is my imitation showing both size blades. My imitation is 95% cheaper than buying a beetle spin.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd100/shipahoy41/Bladesetup_zps22f0bf68.jpg (http://s225.photobucket.com/user/shipahoy41/media/Bladesetup_zps22f0bf68.jpg.html)

Cmj
06-18-2014, 07:11 AM
Looks good. My only concern would be the knot in the leader for the bead to rest on. I tried a similar setup for Steelhead fishing and had problems with the knot weakening the line. One of those rubber bobber stops fixed the problem.

warmouth
06-18-2014, 08:50 AM
It looks good to me, but you may want to try putting the spinner inbetween the knots, so it doesn't slide up the line on your initial cast. I think when you jig sinks, the spinner may end up a couple of feet up the line from your jig. It will settle back down to the jig on the retrieve though.

Good idea, and good luck with it!

Kevin22
06-18-2014, 10:07 AM
A quick tip. Instead of knotting your leader for the bead, take your line and run it through the bead, then through the bead again the same way. That will lock the bead in place, but you can give it slack and adjust it wherever you want. Then you can adjust your blade to whatever height you want.

montagc
06-18-2014, 10:28 AM
Two bobber stops, one below the swivel and one above would solve the line weakening and sliding on casting problems.

Jig------bobber stop - bead - swivel - bead - bobber stop

Maybe better yet, just run the line through the swivel and then run a piece of rubber band through the eye and tie it to the line. No knots, stops or beads needed.

split handle
06-19-2014, 04:46 AM
I'll be interested in reading, after you've had a chance to use this, whether you get many strikes on the spinner blade itself.

It just occurred to me that, in a state that allows multiple hooks on one line, one could tie in a small, lightweight inline spinner above the jig and hook fish that struck either target.

shipahoy41
06-19-2014, 06:26 AM
I'll be interested in reading, after you've had a chance to use this, whether you get many strikes on the spinner blade itself.

It just occurred to me that, in a state that allows multiple hooks on one line, one could tie in a small, lightweight inline spinner above the jig and hook fish that struck either target.

It should be similar to what happens when people fish a beetle spin. The blade serves as vibration and an attractant to get the fish closer. Then the fish see the lure offering and attack to eat that.

rednecksims
06-20-2014, 07:16 AM
It looks good to me, but you may want to try putting the spinner inbetween the knots, so it doesn't slide up the line on your initial cast. I think when you jig sinks, the spinner may end up a couple of feet up the line from your jig. It will settle back down to the jig on the retrieve though.

Good idea, and good luck with it!
That is what I was thinking. Just run another bead on top.