Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Porcupine quill floats

Post Thanks / Like

Default Porcupine quill floats

I seen a post a while ago about quill floats. Well I looked up the guy n he no longer sells them. I wouldn't mind making my own but where can I get some 7-10 African porcupine quills to make some up?

Also those of you who have tried or use them, how much weight can they hold up? Couple split shot n minny?
    A 1/32 oz jig? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

There's nothing that a porcupine quill can do that a Thill shy bite can't. The shy bite is readily available and about the most sensitive float sold in North America.

http://www.fishusa.com/Product/Thill-Shy-Bite-Float
    Likes skiptomylu, Yodibuzz LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks I didn't realize they made the shy bites in longer lengths. I've only seen the short little ones.
    And fish USA new sponser to boot. I love those guys. Order allot from them. And it don't hurt they are in pa a few hours away from me.

Post Thanks / Like

got quills on all the cane poles, for gill fishin in summer. they are great but wont hold much weight.

Post Thanks / Like

I use quills. I buy them on eBay and make them myself. I have some made large enough to hold up a 1/16 oz. jig and small enough to hold up a split shot, hook and cricket. I cut the sharp (black) end off to where I can make a small fish hook eye out of wire, put some gorilla glue on it and push it up into the cut off end. Got a piece of tubing from a local parts house about 2 ft. long that was the right size for the quills, cut small pieces with scissors( 2 ft. will make about 100) and add them to the quill. I then paint the top white part with finger nail polish to make it easily seen and they work great and last a long time. About the only problem I have is with the wire eye on the end, it will sometimes come out after a lot of use, but it's not hard to replace. I can make a bunch of them for just a few dollars and they work better than anything I have tried.
    Likes NIMROD, Eaglehorse, okhawg LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Bass pro Jackson ms has the porcupine quill floats.

Post Thanks / Like

Go to ebay and type in "African Porcupine Quills" and you'll get plenty of hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoltz View Post
    I seen a post a while ago about quill floats. Well I looked up the guy n he no longer sells them. I wouldn't mind making my own but where can I get some 7-10 African porcupine quills to make some up?

Also those of you who have tried or use them, how much weight can they hold up? Couple split shot n minny?
    A 1/32 oz jig? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smoltz View Post
    I wouldn't mind making my own ...
    If you're a DIY kind of guy, get some balsa dowel rods and copy the Thill shy bites. They should be pretty easy to make with a lathe or dremel tool.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    If you're a DIY kind of guy, get some balsa dowel rods and copy the Thill shy bites. They should be pretty easy to make with a lathe or dremel tool.
    I was just thinking of that last night. I got a beat up deemed off my brother a while back but have a new one of my own. I think I'm going to turn it into a lathe. Only problem is(why I have it now)the chuck keep locking up n getting galded shut.
    I seen a guy on YouTube using this bamboo skewers for the center.