Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: ? For Cane Pole

Post Thanks / Like

Question ? For Cane Pole

Tom, I have a D/C electrical ? for you. I have a Moultrie Digital Game Camera that runs off a 6 Volt lantern battery. Is it possible to use a 12 volt battery in place of the 6 volt by using a one of these http://www.powerstream.com/dc6.htm or one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volta...spagenameZWD1V to be able to power the camera without hurting it ? I think if the second reducer would work would be the better option.Being small enough to mount in camera body where the 6 volt batt. sat. The cold temps up here kill a lantern batt. in a day and half.Not to bright here on this stuff so any help would be great.Thanks
    :D Give a man a crappie you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish for crappie and get rid of him for the weekend!!!

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lebruce
    Tom, I have a D/C electrical ? for you. I have a Moultrie Digital Game Camera that runs off a 6 Volt lantern battery. Is it possible to use a 12 volt battery in place of the 6 volt by using a one of these http://www.powerstream.com/dc6.htm or one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volta...spagenameZWD1V to be able to power the camera without hurting it ? I think if the second reducer would work would be the better option.Being small enough to mount in camera body where the 6 volt batt. sat. The cold temps up here kill a lantern batt. in a day and half.Not to bright here on this stuff so any help would be great.Thanks
    Yep. This will work. Do you know the current requirements for your camera? I didn't see any current specifications on the two units you posted. Check the current requirement for your camera, and I will check this stuff out for you. Should be no problem as long as current supply is met and you have proper polarity when you connect the camera.. I will help you with it. Easy to do.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Lebruce, have you considered using solar panels to keep the battery charged? We use the game cameras down here and some of us use solar panels and rechargable batteries on them, and on deer feeders. They don't keep the battery completely charged (i think our panels are too small) but they batteries last two to three weeks before having to take them home to "fully" charge them. I just thought maybe it would be something you might be interested in checking out. This isn't the one we have, but similiar.
    http://www.apexbattery.com/6-volt-so...batteries.html
    You can't fish with a hung line!

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont mean to hijack this thread but wouldn't this work for charging or keeping a charge going on a vexillar battery while you're icefishing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlaughlin72
    Lebruce, have you considered using solar panels to keep the battery charged? We use the game cameras down here and some of us use solar panels and rechargable batteries on them, and on deer feeders. They don't keep the battery completely charged (i think our panels are too small) but they batteries last two to three weeks before having to take them home to "fully" charge them. I just thought maybe it would be something you might be interested in checking out. This isn't the one we have, but similiar.
    http://www.apexbattery.com/6-volt-so...batteries.html
    This will work too. but you would need a 6v rechargable battery.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chaunc
    Dont mean to hijack this thread but wouldn't this work for charging or keeping a charge going on a vexillar battery while you're icefishing?
    You can get solar panels in about any voltage output configuration. But, most reasonable priced panels are only "trickle chargers" capable of somewhere between 50 to 100 milliamp output current. For instance, a 100 milliamp output panel would take 10 hours to produce a charge of 1 amp.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 13 moultrie game cameras out.I use rechargable 6 volt batt. and solar panels that go on game feeders.They havent ran dead on me once yet,and been out since June.:D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hogster
    I have 13 moultrie game cameras out.I use rechargable 6 volt batt. and solar panels that go on game feeders.They havent ran dead on me once yet,and been out since June.:D
    That's good.
    What is the I rating of your camera? What is the I rating of your solar panles? What is the AH rating of your batteries? I will tell you when they will quit working!!!:D

Post Thanks / Like

Tom, Thanks for the response and I'll try to track that info down and let you know.
    jlaughlin72, Thanks for the suggestion but hanging a solar panel on the tree is like putting a red flag out for the thieves up here.I'm looking for away to supply juice for a month or more in 34 deg. and less weather.Already had to build a metal box to put the camera in to bolt and lock to the tree.The rechargeable batt. work great in the worm weather.
    :D Give a man a crappie you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish for crappie and get rid of him for the weekend!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lebruce
    Tom, Thanks for the response and I'll try to track that info down and let you know.
    jlaughlin72, Thanks for the suggestion but hanging a solar panel on the tree is like putting a red flag out for the thieves up here.I'm looking for away to supply juice for a month or more in 34 deg. and less weather.Already had to build a metal box to put the camera in to bolt and lock to the tree.The rechargeable batt. work great in the worm weather.
    Did you get your stuff figured out yet?