Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: what's your input

Post Thanks / Like

Default what's your input

Hello guys. I am about to purchase 2 mini stealth planer boards from redi rig. I was told that these boards will handle up to 3oz and will remain upright even when not moving. I wanted to try to tightline troll with these things. I wanted to use a carolina rig setup with up to a 1oz bullet weight then the swivle then an 2ft leader to keep my depth while moving. I understand that I need to measure out an extra 2 feet on top of the depth i want to hold at. That way If I let out 10ft of line then attach this board I know that i'll be holding at 8ft the slowest speed I can go is 1.2 to 1.4 and the bait i'll be using is either 1/16oz jigs or minnows.
    Is this crazy or will it work.

Post Thanks / Like

I just thought by mabye adding more weight, and using the planer I could get a better handle on what depth i'm running at.

Post Thanks / Like

FISH ON

Post Thanks / Like

My question is that why can't I use the boards like the way people tightline. If I want my minnow or jig to run at lets say 20ft why couldn't I use a drop shot or carolina rig with a 1/2,3/4, or 1oz bullet weight. That way I can let out 20ft attach my board and I know that my bait will be running at 20ft. Sorry this seems so long winded It just drives me nuts not knowing much line to let out.

Post Thanks / Like

Assuming you will be going slow to use a minnow, you won't have any hook setting power using a planer. When you set the hook all you will do is get the planer board airborne and headed your way. The speed of pulling a crank is in your favor usually because they set the hook on themselves.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

IMO you are going to sink a mini board using much more than 1/4 oz of weight on them. I just don't see a planer board being useful in the application you are describing. I personally would never consider using one at less than say 0.8 mph. With a 1/8oz jighead and curly tail body, to run 20 feet deep I'm going to have at least 30 feet of line (probably much more) out behind the board even at 0.8mph. I really don't know of a source for data on how much line is needed to get that size jig that deep like the Troller's Bible does for cranks.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff