Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: sunlight/shade

Post Thanks / Like

Default sunlight/shade

how does the amounts of sunlight factor in to your fishing statages? do you tend to try to fish in shady spots? i just dont seem like i doe as well on really sunny days.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

crappie tend to stay in the shade or go deeper where the sun can`t penitrate .
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

I have always found them better on the shady side of the coves, we will troll the shore line and only catch them in the shady areas, same with jigging trees, I catch more on the shady side of the trees

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Crappie are ambush predators ...

Quote Originally Posted by bama647
    how does the amounts of sunlight factor in to your fishing statages? do you tend to try to fish in shady spots? i just dont seem like i doe as well on really sunny days.
    not "chase'em down" predators .... so they use shade as cover, to hide themselves, as well as so they can "see" better (as in how we see better when in a dark room, and looking out into a well lit one). Shade is the result of blocked sunlight, whether by obstacles, water clarity or depth.
    Shade is primary factor #1 in a lot of cases, as to when/where I fish. This is especially true from post spawn to late Fall, in the lakes I fish during that time frame.
    I've also found that Crappie tend to relate to cover, a lot of times, in relation to the amount of light penetration. Cloudy, windy, rainy conditions, all seem to cause/allow the fish to scatter over a greater sized area around the cover ... whereas, during more sunny conditions, they tend to relate closer to the cover - if not buried down in it, or deeper down in the water column. .... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Sunshining good here today, water temperature was 52..surface...no wind period. I caught several fish and they were on the shaded side of the points in timber. I was fishing 30' of water 20' deep. I try those areas first. defintely a place to start.