Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you do your first time on a lake?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What do you do your first time on a lake?

If you are on a lake for the very first time and know nothing about the lake and there is no one around to ask for guidance, what are the steps you take or the things you do to try to figure the lake out?

Post Thanks / Like

Get a map if possible and look for places before I go.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If I had a similar lake that I was familiar with ... I'd likely fish the new lake much the same as I would the similar/familiar lake, given similar conditions.

If there was no lake I was familiar with, that was similar to the new lake ... I'd get a map and look for the same depths/structure/cover that I would fish on a lake I was more familiar with. I'd section off small areas of interest and concentrate on those, rather than trying to fish the whole lake or fish blindly.

Visible cover ... like standing trees, blowdowns, docks, bridge pillars, creek mouths/points, etc. would/could be a starting point, in the event no map was available.

... cp
    Likes stormcloud LIKED above post

RCC is offline Crappie.com Legend and Arkansas Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Launch boat. Set console SI to record. Drop trolling motor and go fishing. Come day 2, you'll know where they're at. You'd be surprised how many fish people drive over on the way from the landing to the other side of the lake.
    RCC's Crappie Eradication Service
    Eliminating your slab problems one fish at a time
    For free estimates give us a call at O U 812.
    Likes Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

First spend some time on the computer finding eveyting that I can of the lake and average size of the fish. Also view satalite shots of the lake, many lakes are at low pool. Then its with map study with creek channels,river swings, points,drops,ledges. First day on the water there is not a lot of fishing involved, its electronics to eliminate water.
    Second day is for fishing and eliminate more water.. The third day you should be on good fish for the rest of the week.
    I have always done this for classics all over the country and always placed in the top 10, but seldom for some reason put the time and work into local tourney waters. No wonder I suck at local events.
    Last edited by brushnjigs; 06-11-2014 at 01:46 PM.
    Likes Eagle 1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Find wood or weeds.....
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of good pointers.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I agree nimrod, they hit the main points pretty good. MAP and research on the net. By the time you get to the ramp you already know the layout and have picked areas out you want to try. And like RCC stated...reviewing recordings is great for multiple day trips.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

First thing i need to know is what part of the country being fished. Second, what time of year. From there i can determine where the crappies are located. Are they in pre, spawn, or post. I've read numerous books on knowing where to look at what time of year. Knowing how the spawn happens from south to north will make finding them , more easy. South will be more over open water and as you travel north, you'll find them closer to the banks. Depending on how far north you are and what time of year it is, they may be anywhere from 15 to a foot deep. Know the basics and fish accordingly. If you're fishing your area, Ill., i'd check the 15ft area and in closer. Look for brushpiles in 5 to 15ft as i do on my home lake in PA. You dont need SI to find them. Try to stay in that depth as you travel the shoreline. If you're in a good area, someone will have brush sank. Find it and fish it.
    Likes shipahoy41, wilbur LIKED above post

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I try to get a map or check the local bait shop to talk with other fishermen. I look for coves with woody structure or weeds on a point. I carry binoculars on the boat so i can see where others are and i take notes.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes chucktx, chulai1968 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast