Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Do your females still have eggs?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do your females still have eggs?

Here in NY the spawn, I thought, was over. Today I caught a bunch of females that still had eggs in them. The water temp was 73 Deg, and Im still finding them in spawning areas.

How soon after the spawn do they begin to form egg sacks?
    If vegetable oil is made from vegetables, what's baby oil made from?

Post Thanks / Like

I WENT LAST WEEK AND A FEW STILL HAD EGGS IN THEM BUT MOST DID NOT,HAD 66 BOTH DAYS,HAVE NOT BEEN BACK TOO MANY THINGS TO CATCH UP ON,I THOUGHT WHEN YOU RETIRED YOU WERE LEFT WITH MUCH TIME,WIFE DID NOT READ SAME BOOK
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kb2112 View Post
    Here in NY the spawn, I thought, was over. Today I caught a bunch of females that still had eggs in them. The water temp was 73 Deg, and Im still finding them in spawning areas.

How soon after the spawn do they begin to form egg sacks?
    Actually, yes they do ... at some of the area lakes I fish. Water temps are 80-85deg, now ... but still catching egg laden females out over deep water. The fish are right where they should be, given the time & temps, but the only difference is many still have eggs. Most likely reason is the flooding rains & constant waves of fronts that we've experienced this year.

After they've spawned (or internally consumed the eggs, if they don't), they start showing small egg sacs by late Summer. By late Fall into early Winter, the egg sac can get noticeably big ... one of the reasons many people mistakenly think they spawn again in the Fall.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Mine had eggs last week. Havn;t kept any since then.

Post Thanks / Like

They start forming eggs in late fall.

I cleaned a bass that swallowed the hook the other day that was full of readied eggs. Most bass were done well over a month ago around here. Water temp 77.