Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ky Barkley Lake Woes

Mayfield Ky close to Ky and Barkley Lakes
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ky Barkley Lake Woes

Fished better than half a day at Barkley-Ford Bay area on wednesday and only had a pound and a half crappie to show for it. I caught numerous brim and yellow stripes but couldnt seem to find the crappie I usually do. I mostly ledge fished on brushpiles I found,in 6 to 14 ft of water but the baitfish (shad) were so thick in the bay that they blacked my graph out at times. The pelicans were having a field day.Any one else having problems with the shad explosions in the bays? Any ideas? I used to think I knew something about crappie fishing but sometimes I wonder lol.

Post Thanks / Like

im not by any means an expert but the fish ive caught and heard about being caught seem to be in over 20ft of water. but i went out this morning and only had 2 keepers so take that with a grain of salt but they were in water over 20ft deep.

Post Thanks / Like

Bama Ive heard of folks all my life catching deep crappie but to be honest Ive never caught any over 18 ft deep even in the dead of winter.Always been able to catch them on the ledges on the big creek arms off the main lake, usually from 8 to 13 feet. I wouldnt even know how to rig up to catch crappie in really deep water. Perhaps I need to learn. The shad are killing me right now in the bays.

Post Thanks / Like

im new to crappie fishing myself and started out fishing shallow waters and did catch a few but started fishing deeper water and it has worked better for me. still not catching a limit but better. i would try deeper though if your not catchingem shallow you can allways go back. i just put my weight on the bottom of the line and a hooke about 18 inches above and start out bouncing the weight off the bottom and work my way up and hopefully find some fish. i was catching some at 30ft the last week. just something to try youre probabaly more experienced than me.

Post Thanks / Like

some of these other guys will have some better info for you tommorrow or later tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

Ric44,
    I have been on kentucky lake every day for 3 weeks straight. (big sandy river) We are catching a lot of fish on the drops and ledges. Find a ledge with around 10 feet deep on the top and around 25 feet on the bottom. Keep the boat in 18 to 20 feet of water with the baits around 15 to 16 feet deep. Most fish are coming on the pole we are holding. The bite is real light. A lot of the times all we feel is the line getting heavy. Catching a lot of fish on an orange/chart skirt with a white head tipped with nibbles or a green/orange tube with a green head tipped with a nibble. Just find a ledge like this and work it VERY slow. I guarantee you will catch crappie doing this. Again, you need to be holding the pole in order to feel the bite.
    Hope this helps.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Weezer thanks for the tip, Ill prob have to go main lake to find ledges like that this time of year. But maybe I'll try blood river too. Ill pick up a few of those jigs too for my box.Can never have too many colors lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Weezer, You spoke to my son recently. He is the big ole boy that just bought his first boat and works at Dana. He enjoyed tolking to you and say's you are a good guy. I fish on the northern end of Barkley and have found that after many years of easy fishing that things have changed. We now have to hunt our fish more than the past. Many of the best catches come from areas that are not related to the main drops of the creeks. The fish seem to have relocated more off the channels and are found on the flats or small depth changes than they used to. Do you find that tho be the case in Big Sandy? I may hire you for a trip as a gift for my son a little later. THE BANDIT
    Last edited by EDDY CREEK BANDIT; 11-24-2006 at 12:22 PM.
    1 Corinthians 2:2.----Nothing else counts!!
    "This one thing I know, and that is Jesus Christ and Him crucified."

Post Thanks / Like

Dont feel to bad Bandit. I went out yesterday and only caught 5 keepers in 3 hours. Brush in about 12 feet of water was where I found the few I managed to get.--Little River.

Post Thanks / Like

I fished Barkley wednesday only caught 4 keepers. A friend went friday only caught 6 keepers. My neice nad her boyfriend went with a guy who has been catching several for awhile they only caaught six between the three of them. The only thing I can figure is the amount of water they are releasing thru both dams must have them shut down or the current might have them suspending.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast