Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Leader tips

Post Thanks / Like

Default Leader tips

Ok, yes so I'm new here and yes I know this is a crappie forum for the most part but I just have a few questions regarding leaders. I do most of my fishing at lake Carl Blackwell around the rocks at the dock or from my boat near the dam. I love crappie and saugeye so I tend to target them the most. Since I run into several saugeys when I'm crappie fishing sometimes they bite through my line so I've started to add a 16inch 20lb braid leader with a barrel swivel in hopes that they don't break my line. Anyone have a better suggestions, I'm not a fan of just using braided line unless I am fishing with frogs in heavy grass. I use 8 to 10lb mono on my rods and 6lb mono on my main crappie rod. I hear a lot of people tie mono leaders to braided line but not the other way around, why's that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cwbysfan03 View Post
    I hear a lot of people tie mono leaders to braided line but not the other way around, why's that.
    Because mono (and especially fluoro) is more abrasion-resistant than braid. I would NOT use braid for a leader. If you're dead set on the leader, I'd use fluoro.

However ... I would not use a leader for crappie fishing just to keep the occasional saugeye from breaking my line. That's my

Post Thanks / Like

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

With fluoro having the best abrasion resistance of all the lines out there, I'd go that way. However.....there is a big difference between fluoro used as a main line on spinning reels and fluoro leader material. Although it it a bit expensive, go with the 25 yard spools of actual leader material instead. Much stiffer and even more abrasion resistant than main line fluoro. I wouldn't worry about the pound test too much. Fluoro is known for it's invisibility in the water, so you can get away with say an 8 lb. test leader in your case. Just use an Alberto knot to join the two and you should be just fine.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Fan! Good to have you part of CDC .. Welcome! I agree with everyone on the fluoro leader. I've had good results using braid and a fluorocarbon leader for crappie, sauger and walleye. Don't know that I've ever lost a walleye or sauger because of my leader breaking.