Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need ideas on insulating a livewell

Swampseed is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Need ideas on insulating a livewell

I have a G3 all aluminum boat. It has a built in livewell in front deck. All aluminum boat gets hot in summer and having problems keeping fish alive. Was thinking if I could insulate it some how it would help. Looks like I could get to 3 sides of the livewell under the deck on outside of livewell and maybe glue cut sheets of foam to outside of well. Just looking for any ideas, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I used the reflective "bubble wrap" type of heat barrier insulation in cut sheets inside mine on all sides as well as the lid last year. I used silicone caulk to "glue" it in so I could pull it out and replace it if I ever need to. I also installed a livewell timer at the same time.

I had "insulation knowledgeable" people tell me that particular insulation wouldn't work and it would be no better than it was before.

Guess what? I went from fish being dead in 20 minutes or less to fishing all day in August without a single dead fish.

Take that, insulation knowledgeable people.
    Likes Cardsfan55 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

If you are pumping in hot lake water all the time it isnt going to do much good to insulate it. If you can recirculate the water that is in there you can add frozen 2 liter bottle of ice and keep the temp down.If you have plenty of room get a cooler and ice and just throw them in there

Post Thanks / Like

Looking to do the same thing on my G3 only I was to make a cooler out of my rear live well since I rarely keep fish.

Post Thanks / Like

what manufacturer is the bubble wrap

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The spray foam insulation that comes in spray cans at the building supply works good.....start at top and work down....it will fill in between the walls
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "G" View Post
    The spray foam insulation that comes in spray cans at the building supply works good.....start at top and work down....it will fill in between the walls
    What G say's works really well, also get a piece of the blue insulation that come in sheets. Glue a piece of it to the inside of lid. That's where most heat comes from.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Be sure to use the NON expanding foam typically sold for window and door insulation.

Swampseed is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Some great ideas, thanks. Yes, my other problem is I have no way of recirculating water now. Hitting aerator for oxygen but pulling in 80 plus degree water in and my frozen water bottles are going quick. How even of a coating would the spray foam go on? Sounds messy and would be very uneven? Would you do the bottom of the well also? Was thinking not for better draining and wiping out when done.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Spray the foam between the walls.....not on the inside of your live well
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast