PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas on insulating a livewell

Swampseed
06-04-2014, 04:22 PM
I have a G3 all aluminum boat. It has a built in livewell in front deck. All aluminum boat gets hot in summer and having problems keeping fish alive. Was thinking if I could insulate it some how it would help. Looks like I could get to 3 sides of the livewell under the deck on outside of livewell and maybe glue cut sheets of foam to outside of well. Just looking for any ideas, thanks.

Quackrstackr
06-04-2014, 04:39 PM
I used the reflective "bubble wrap" type of heat barrier insulation in cut sheets inside mine on all sides as well as the lid last year. I used silicone caulk to "glue" it in so I could pull it out and replace it if I ever need to. I also installed a livewell timer at the same time.

I had "insulation knowledgeable" people tell me that particular insulation wouldn't work and it would be no better than it was before.

Guess what? I went from fish being dead in 20 minutes or less to fishing all day in August without a single dead fish.

Take that, insulation knowledgeable people. :Rofl

clfarms1
06-04-2014, 05:02 PM
If you are pumping in hot lake water all the time it isnt going to do much good to insulate it. If you can recirculate the water that is in there you can add frozen 2 liter bottle of ice and keep the temp down.If you have plenty of room get a cooler and ice and just throw them in there

zummy
06-04-2014, 05:45 PM
Looking to do the same thing on my G3 only I was to make a cooler out of my rear live well since I rarely keep fish.

rocket rich
06-04-2014, 05:49 PM
what manufacturer is the bubble wrap

"G"
06-04-2014, 05:50 PM
The spray foam insulation that comes in spray cans at the building supply works good.....start at top and work down....it will fill in between the walls

Cray
06-04-2014, 06:44 PM
The spray foam insulation that comes in spray cans at the building supply works good.....start at top and work down....it will fill in between the walls
What G say's works really well, also get a piece of the blue insulation that come in sheets. Glue a piece of it to the inside of lid. That's where most heat comes from.

TrevorW
06-04-2014, 07:44 PM
Be sure to use the NON expanding foam typically sold for window and door insulation.

Swampseed
06-04-2014, 07:45 PM
Some great ideas, thanks. Yes, my other problem is I have no way of recirculating water now. Hitting aerator for oxygen but pulling in 80 plus degree water in and my frozen water bottles are going quick. How even of a coating would the spray foam go on? Sounds messy and would be very uneven? Would you do the bottom of the well also? Was thinking not for better draining and wiping out when done.

"G"
06-04-2014, 07:49 PM
Spray the foam between the walls.....not on the inside of your live well

Quackrstackr
06-05-2014, 08:26 AM
what manufacturer is the bubble wrap

Not sure. I picked up the roll at Lowe's.

rnvinc
06-05-2014, 09:03 AM
Not sure. I picked up the roll at Lowe's.

Is this bubble wrap installed between the inside livewell wall and the water...??

Or in between the inside and outside plastic layers... ??

Rickie

filletfetish
06-05-2014, 09:18 AM
I prefer to just use a cooler coupled with a 12v aerator. I like the Igloo Cube, since it's a little bit deeper. I have one for bait and one for fish.

Quackrstackr
06-05-2014, 09:59 AM
Is this bubble wrap installed between the inside livewell wall and the water...??

Or in between the inside and outside plastic layers... ??

Rickie

Between the wall and the water. It's had a lot of water and a lot of fish in it and I haven't had a single issue yet. I was worried about punctures and water retention and that's why I installed it with silicone. It hasn't been an issue and it's even had a couple of channel cats pitched in it.

clfarms1
06-05-2014, 10:21 AM
do you pump in fresh water ? and do you put anything in to cool the water

Quackrstackr
06-05-2014, 10:34 AM
Fresh water, no ice. I simply adjust the pump timer accordingly. The Attwood pump timer that BPS sells that is a direct replacement for a pump toggle switch is well worth the money. Just set it and forget it once your livewell is full.

That in itself makes a huge difference.

clfarms1
06-05-2014, 10:42 AM
I personally would have to say that the insulation is not doing a lot of good, If you are putting 80-90 degree water in your livewell all the insulation is doing is keeping it at that temp or making it even hotter in your livewell. Your timer on the livewell is what is helping you by giving you fresh water on a regular basis.

Quackrstackr
06-05-2014, 11:54 AM
So pray tell how is any insulation going to do anyone any good and why shouldn't they just add ice? How is it going to "make it hotter"?

It works. Believe what you want. No ice.

I know how fast the water heated up before the insulation and I know how cool it stays after the insulation. People shouldn't naysay something they've not personally tried. ;)

The objective is to keep fish alive. All of the ice in the world isn't going to help that if you let them stew in their own juices for a day. They need oxygen and they need the waste products removed from the water they are in.

clfarms1
06-05-2014, 12:06 PM
Have you ever tried just ice. My live well overflows so it has new water all day long I don't lose fish and it's not insulated . Just my opinion.

Quackrstackr
06-05-2014, 03:05 PM
Yes. Prior to insulating, I used ice. It melted rapidly and the fish still died after it was gone. After insulating, I can now leave the lake and still have fish alive in the well for quite a while after getting home without adding ice or running the pump (I don't have recirc). They're as lively as they were when they were put in there.

"G"
06-05-2014, 03:31 PM
The insulation keeps them from getting hotter from the sun beaming down on the boat. Insulating your live well makes a big difference.

DrNip
06-05-2014, 03:39 PM
Hotter the water less oxygen there is, right? I would think the insulation would help keep the water from getting hotter than what it is coming in. That and you would want plenty of fresh water coming in along with a good pump aerating the water a plenty. I plan on having a Bimini top to protect the livewell from direct sun, a pump drawing in the fresh water and a hefty aerator pump to help beef up the oxygen levels. If this doesn't work then it is off to plan B. Scrap the livewell, weld in a brace and invest in a cooler with ice.

Swampseed
06-05-2014, 04:29 PM
Quackrstackr, instead of using silicone do you think sticky backed velcro would work. Was thinking if that worked you could pull it off to let dry out and wipe down if a guy wanted to??

Quackrstackr
06-05-2014, 05:12 PM
It probably would but you'll be getting water behind the insulation every time that way. I ran beads on the aluminum to stick the insulation in place and then came back and used it to seal all of the seams inside after it dried. Water behind the insulation will eventually turn into a nasty mess, is what I was thinking.

BoarBuster
06-07-2014, 01:11 PM
I would think that you are right about the qunk growing behind the insulation.

dwightparks
06-09-2014, 12:34 PM
Install an air pump. I use a double pump. one line to live well and big air stone the other outlet to minnow bucket. I have recirc pump on timer as well. Don't lose fish or minnows with this system Have been using this system for years.

Swampseed
06-13-2014, 02:45 PM
First thanks for all the ideas. Here is where I am at and after yesterday on the water have no idea what next. My well is 24"x12"x12", under the deck along both 24'' long sides I used 1'' foam board and spray foam. The short side on outside of boat can not get to. The short side next to battery did not get anything on it yet. I have 1'' foam board under lid and lip on top side. was not done but have top and 2 sides insulated, better than what I had. I bought and installed a Power Bubbles aeration system running both lines to 1 air stone in live well. Thinking I should be looking pretty good. Went fishin yesterday after I had 4 or 5 in live well I put the plug in and pumped well 3/4 full of water turned on Power Bubbles and have enough battery to let it just keep running. Couple hours later I had 8 to 10 fish and I open lid and 3-4 fish not dead but floating on side!! I also had put in a frozen water bottle to cool. The air temp was mid 70's, lake temp was 78 and had thermometer I put in live well was 72. Any ideas on why this did not work or what now do I need to do??? Thanks

Quackrstackr
06-13-2014, 04:02 PM
Are you recirculating water or pumping through fresh water? You've got to get the contaminants out of there or no amount of cool water or air in the world will help you. The more fish you put in, the faster they foul the water and the more it has to be exchanged.

skiptomylu
06-13-2014, 07:12 PM
Ice will last a little longer if You freeze water in Some bottles. At least it takes longer for it to completely thaw. Even when night fishing with minnows I use my live well for them and once full I don't need to add more as it's a very large live well. The. We just add a couple bottles in and when they are done we add fresh ones from the ice chest. On this lake keeping fish Alive is a challenge to say the least. I do want to try some of that stuff they sell to help keep fish living.

genec
06-13-2014, 08:56 PM
could you have a extra pump and timer and a 10 feet piece of pvc or hose on a weight and when you are not moving fast use it,would not that give fresh cool water if above thermoline? just a thought,i don't keep fish in summer nor many anytime,rarely eat fish ,just love to catch them

Cray
06-13-2014, 10:57 PM
Just because they were laying on their side dosnt mean they are dying. Touch them and most of the time they will take off. You can if fishing tourneys and really want to help them, you can get some good old fashoned clothes pins attach a 3/4 oz weight and clip to their lower fins to keep them upright. They should have been fine at that water temp. This time of year I start putting them in live well with the aerator pump on a timer replacing the water and my power bubbles going. I also carry a cooler with 3-4 2 liter bottles of frozen water. I leave fish in well unless one for sure die's then he goes in cooler. If they are still kicking when I put boat on trailer I leave them in well with power bubbles running. My closest lake is at least a hour away and seldom will have a completely dead fish when I get home if air temp is in the 80's or lower. Gets to the 90+ they go in cooler with the bottles and I will stop and get a bag of ice and cover them.

Swampseed
06-14-2014, 05:06 PM
Sounds like I need to install a timer on my aerator and figure out how often it needs to kick on depending on number of fish in well and how warm water is. What good does a live well do that has a recirculating pump? Would that just be mixing bad water around? Will I just be pissing in the wind with frozen water bottles if my aerator is pumping in 80 plus degree water every few minutes?

Cray
06-14-2014, 07:21 PM
If your using the air pump and recirculating with water bottles it just helps add more oxygen into the water. Most recirculate systems will be on Bass boats and they won't have a air pump hooked to them. We are going to add a lot more fish than they would and they usually add some kind of additive to the water to help fish since they have to weigh them in alive and return them to lake. I just want to keep thee first few alive incase I don't catch enough to make a mess. Don't want to clean just 3/4 so will just return them to lake if alive.