Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thinking about taking the plunge

Post Thanks / Like

Default thinking about taking the plunge

I have been wanting a boat for some time now I had a small canoe I fixed up last year but it was to much for me to handle by myself . I went out today and started looking a Kayak`s seen two I liked , But have some questions about fishing from them .. One is it hard to get use to fishing sitting down all the time ? I am used to fishing standing a lot and working lures ..and second what are the benefits of a kayak over a jon boat ?

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

I guess the sitting part might be dependent on the individual. I personally have no problem being in my kayak for the entire day. In fact just this past Sunday myself and another Crappie.com member spent 11 hours in our kayaks fishing one of the local rivers and lakes. If you get the right seat, and have enough room to move your legs around, sitting for longer periods of time might not be a problem. The benefits of a kayak over a jon boat are numerous in my opinion. They are generally much lighter and easy for one person to handle. Kayaks are quieter for fishing the shallow waters. Kayaks are easier to paddle and go much faster than your typical jon boat that is being propelled by oars. And with the right kayak selection, you will be able to carry nearly as much gear as you would in the same equal length jon boat. Of course I have pretty much done nothing but fish from kayaks for the past 25+ years so I might be a bit partial.
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Post Thanks / Like

There are also at least 2 dozen kayaks designed with the ability to stand up (for average size guys). Most have taller seats, which makes sitting back down easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Look for something with a realy comfy seat with lumbar support. There are some entry level kayaks out there. Some sport and touring kayaks are nice for short trips, but the seats are not the best. And stay away from kayaks that are pinch welded (top and bottom) Bass Pro Shops Ascend models are well built and won't brake the bank. Don't forget to check out Craigslist you might be able to pick up a nice used Yak. If you are lookin for a good place to get accesories Austin Canoe and Kayak has great prices and service is amazing.
    Wishing you Blue Skies and Tight Lines
    Likes wahanlin LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all went looking again today

Post Thanks / Like

here are some of what I am looking at really leaning towards the tan one has more room then the othersName:  0605141358-01.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  44.6 KBName:  0605141358-00.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  43.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Might be exxagerated in the pic but unless your short enough to use the first foortest it looks like it may be really uncomfortable on your heels and calves. Seat would need upgraded as well. That plastic hurts after a while. But see if they will at least put it on the floor and sit in it for a bit if you cant test paddle.
    Likes NYHellbender LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I was think the same thing, those notch footwells can be tough on the lower legs. Also they tend to hold water.

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes you make a mistake by judging a book by its cover. Kayaks look different to each one of us, and comfort levels can be the same way. Different folks have
    different definitions of comfort. Until you sit down on a seat that really feels good to you, you need to keep on looking. Sitting in a cool looking kayak and fishing
    for several hours might change your mind about looks. Several of us have had a number of different kayaks and have finally found a comfort zone we are comfortable
    with. I've had a few I wish I had kept, but when the fever hits you, you got to get rid of that fever. Even if I had the opportunity to design my own kayak, I would
    probably forget something and wish I had thought about a little more than I did. My Wilderness System Ride 135 is not the perfect kayak for me, but one made of
    Kevlar would come very close to being perfect as far as I'm concerned. Personal physical conditions and fitness plays into the decision making process too. Good luck
    on your decision. I've never known of one person that got it right the first time.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

You live in PA which means your butt is gonna be cold when its wet in that thing. Take a look at something with a raised seat.

Sit in helps keep the wind and cold water to a minimum - http://www.basspro.com/Ascend-FS10-S...1081905012224/

More room easier to reach behind you and you can stand in it - http://www.basspro.com/Ascend-FS12T-...3110707113412/

I bought the FS10 last spring ( I love it ) and it keeps me in the water much later in the colder months that we are stuck with up north. Plus that seat is Awesome comfy!!!!

Hope this helps - There are more models out there, these have features that will help you look for something that will work for you.
    Wishing you Blue Skies and Tight Lines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast